Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Which cartridge for elk hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which would you take this October, and why?

6.5x284 Norma, if it was an APR special with a great scope, that you reloaded for and felt particularly comfortable with.

270 - Plain Jane factory rifle, factory ammo, but nevertheless had harvested plenty of hogs and deer, sub MOA easily.

7mm WBY - An old rifle with old handloads that had proven success, although several years ago.

Or would you buy a new rifle for this purpose, 300WM Ruger American Magnum with factory ammo and a borrowed (great) scope.

Unfortunately I lost all my guns in a tragic boating accident so this is purely a hypothetical question.

You 7mm Weatherby will fit the bill!

Comment

I like the 7mm for elk.. Definitely test the ammo or produce some more. Sure wish you still had those guns.. they sound nice! Unstable boats are tipsy!

Comment

270 all day... but really depends on how long a shot you are taking.

Comment

I’m curious as well about the ruger America magnum in .300 winmag

Comment

all those guns are horrible for elk. So buy a new one

If for no other reason than having a reason to buy one

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              Which would you take this October, and why?

6.5x284 Norma, if it was an APR special with a great scope, that you reloaded for and felt particularly comfortable with.

270 - Plain Jane factory rifle, factory ammo, but nevertheless had harvested plenty of hogs and deer, sub MOA easily.

7mm WBY - An old rifle with old handloads that had proven success, although several years ago.

Or would you buy a new rifle for this purpose, 300WM Ruger American Magnum with factory ammo and a borrowed (great) scope.

Unfortunately I lost all my guns in a tragic boating accident so this is purely a hypothetical question. [emoji3]

None of those are good for elk. I’m thinking you need a new gun.

Do they make a 29 caliber nosler yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Black Ice; 03-19-2018, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Any of the 3 would do just fine. But if the option and funds are there to purchase one that is my vote. But I would pony up some more and get something nice. Not the american even though the do shoot decent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Which one weighs the least?

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    Which one weighs the least?
                    I almost added that All of them are in the 7-8lb range - all okay, none stand out.

Comment

Originally posted by WRasco View Post
                      270 all day... but really depends on how long a shot you are taking.

Agree here

Comment

The Weatherby. Elk are tough. I don’t care how many claim to kill them by the truckload with a 243. Lots also use tracking dogs every year. Hit them with a rocket. The 6.5 is too small on an iffy angle. 270 isn’t bad but slow and not a lot of punch. The 7 Roy is a missile launcher. That’s my choice.

Comment

.270 with a premium 150+ grain bullet; plenty of kinetic energy and the longer heavier bullets will give you a better BC. There is no replacement for good shot placement!

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by cricman View Post
                            .270 with a premium 150+ grain bullet; plenty of kinetic energy and the longer heavier bullets will give you a better BC. There is no replacement for good shot placement!

cricman
                            X2

Comment

30-06 will do fine. If I had one rifle for all my rifle hunting it would be a 30-06. You can load it up or down. I have killed 3 bull elk with a single shot from my 30-06. You don’t have to shoot them all across three canyons.

Comment

Working...
                              X