No announcement yet.

Which cartridge for elk hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to agree about the magnum recoil not being a major factor here. A day at the range with a 300 magnum is mild-to-moderately unpleasant, but in the heat of the moment on a hunt you are not even aware of it. Additionally if I go 300WM I'd get a good brake (the little ******* has great reviews) and cushy stock pad as well.

Comment

Depending on hunting terrian, I would go 300WM, but would take the 7mm with question. While any of them are OK in certain conditions, those won't be the conditions you find yourself in when you get a chance to shoot an elk.

I lost a cow elk at 180 yards horizontal,and 150 yards down vertical with a 270. Found her next afternoon 300ish yards from where I shot, hit exactly where I aimed(one lung due to angle), no exit, with 150 gr Hornady ammo. 300 yards at 10000 feet, thru timber laydown, and no blood trail is not an easy tracking tracking job. If you are at one of those ranches shooting on flat open ground smaller may be fine, but where I was at, the 270 lacked the power I needed.

Looking back, I should have shot her in the neck or thru the spine on the way to the opposite side lung. Live and learn, that was a hard lesson for me.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
        I can only answer for myself and I can tell you I have only needed one. But I also shot those elk at 350 yards or less.

I would also be willing to bet there are more elk wounded today because of guys believing they can shoot "long range" but yet never practice enough to be able to effectively do so. I see it every season up here.

Yes agreed [emoji817]. A lot of fellas have trophy rifles and b**** and moan with the slightest scratch. 500yrs is far for me. Let alone walk the distance to retrieve said game. Too much 1000yard YouTube viewing and not enough practicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          But

There’s no replacement for displacement
          Indubitably!

cricman

Comment

So... you guys are saying I need to have APR build me a new custom carbon fiber 300 WM and nothing less will do?

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              So... you guys are saying I need to have APR build me a new custom carbon fiber 300 WM and nothing less will do?
              Yes!

Comment

Heck no. That’s ridiculous

You need two!! Backup gun

Comment

zing ^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                    I'd be willing to bet half of the people that have commented haven't killed an elk I'd use the biggest option you have, they are very tough animals.
                    Agreed .

I've killed 5, all with 7 mag from under 50 yards to almost 500. I've also seen them take a 30.06 at 100 yards 3x and not even budge and a single bullet from 300 win mag and still run 150 yards. All well placed shots.

That said The rancher killed all his with a 270

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                      I'd be willing to bet half of the people that have commented haven't killed an elk I'd use the biggest option you have, they are very tough animals.
                      I have and still the type of hunts my 6.5 saum was built for. Bad first shots are why they take multiples whether it’s .243 or 300rum. Once that adrenaline is there they’re tough. Good first shot selection with good bullet selection they all work the same.

Comment

Exactly!

And I've never heard of tracking dogs on elk.

Comment

In that case yes that’s what we are all saying

Comment

I was thinking 300 RUM but whatever it takes to sell Momma on a new APR! [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                              People using light bullets in a magnum and shooting behind the shoulder on a light animal. And recoil sensitive. I’d put money that’s the main reasons lol

I guess it depends on which light bullet. 7 mag was my go to for 20 years on whitetail and 140g NosPar’s were far more effective than 160g NosPar. Culls and doe I lung shoot, trophy animals take it through the shoulders.

Comment

Two years ago I used a 7 mm mag and my dad used a 77 mm ultra mag in Wyoming. They worked pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                                X