X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 35

Comment

I have a 222 and love it.
      I actually dreamed about it today (working nights).
      When I first bought the rifle several years ago, I went to every Wal-Mart in the area and bought every box of Remington green box ammo that they had.
      I also bought a 100 count bag of Winchester brass a couple years ago when I started reloading.
      I should be set.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
        I can not think of a round that was popular, that has faded. The main caliber that I can think of that was extremely popular and has seemed to lost a lot of popularity, but still common, is the 30-06. The 308 has increased in popularity, largely taken over a lot of the 30-06 market and then created a new market. Then there are so many more new calibers, that are good rounds and many younger generation shooters, that take to the newer designed rounds, because those are what are talked about on the internet. It has been a while since I have heard someone say they killed something with a 30-06. When I was a kid, even up to 20 years ago, most everybody had a 30-06 in the closet. But there are still many millions of them out there and they still kill a lot of game each year, just don't hear about them as often anymore.

There are a lot of calibers that have mostly been forgotten, such as 6mm Rem/244, 284 Winchester, 264 Win. Mag., 7 mm Rem Express/280 Remington, 307 Winchester, 356 Winchester, 32 H&R Mag., 41 Mag, 454 Casull, 45 Win. Mag, 44 Auto Mag., 357 Max., 444 Marlin, 308 Norma Mag., 358 Norma Mag., 375 Win., 7 mm Remington Ultra Mag, 8 mm Rem. Mag, 222 Rem Mag., 350 Rem. Mag., 6.5 mm Rem. Mag., 358 Win.

Some of the older calibers that have faded, that used to have more popularity and likely were very popular way before my time, but not having been around years before it's hard to say how popular they were, 257 Roberts, 32 Winchester Special, 220 Swift, 44 Special, 30 Rem., 35 Rem., 250 Savage or 250-3000, 300 Savage.

Then the old military calibers that used to have a some popularity for years, but have faded are, the 7X57 Mauser, 8X57 Mauser, 6.5X55 Swede, then the 303 British. The 30-06, has always been the most popular military originated hunting round. The 30-40 Krag, never had a lot of popularity anywhere.

The only calibers, that I would say were quite popular when I was younger and before my time, that have faded in popularity, to the point of you don't hear about them much at all anymore, are the 222 Rem., 338 Win. Mag., 38 Special, 45 Long Colt. I know there are still a lot of them out there, but those are the calibers, that were popular, that you don't hear much about anymore, then the 30-06, is close to being there.

The calibers I listed first, are calibers, that the gun and ammo companies made and tried to promote, that did not take off, very well, they may have had and most of those calibers to still have some popularity, but were never big, popular calibers. They were just a new thing, that was hyped and faded. Many of those calibers have been adopted as favorites for niche shooters. Such as the 357 Max, 7X30 Waters, 30 Rem. 45-70, 41 Mag, 454 Casull. But then others like the 6.5 Rem. Mag, and the 350 Rem. Mag., just never took off. The calibers I listed were most all designed and first sold sometime after the 1940s.
        LOVE my 06. My go to!

What about the 221 Fireball?
        Last edited by BowCrazy; 01-31-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          I know there are still a lot of them out there, but those are the calibers, that were popular, that you don't hear much about anymore, then the 30-06, is close to being there.
          With the top spot in all time popularity (link) and 3rd in pretty much every ammo sales ranking (link and link) I don't see how the .30-'06 is anywhere near gone and forgotten or even one step down that path.
          Sure it doesn't buzz on shooter discussions where the newest and latest but mostly unpopular by any statistics rounds are discussed ad nauseum, but it is EVERYWHERE.

Comment

Originally posted by BowCrazy View Post
            LOVE my 06. My go to!

What about the 221 Fireball?
            I shot my 221 Oregon Kimber this past weekend...I think factory ammo is still somewhat available compared to the 17 Fireball, but you are right. Didn't make a hit like I thought. Both great fun little rounds.

Comment

I had a 307 Win for a while. I believe this to be most underrated lever action round. It hit very hard and was accurate. Sold it to buy a wedding ring. Glad I did, but that was a sweet gun.

Comment

22 Short *
                22 Long *
                22 WRF *
                22 Auto *
                5mm Remington Mag *
                17 Mach II *
                22 Hornet *
                218 Bee *
                219 Zipper
                several 22 cals already mentioned
                25-20 *
                256 Win Mag *
                250-3000 Savage
                25 Remington *
                257 Roberts *
                6.5X54 MS *
                6.5X52
                6.5 Remington Mag
                264 Win Mag *
                7-30 Waters *
                7mm STW *
                30 Remington *
                308 Marlin
                307 Winchester
                300 H&H
                300 Norma
                338 Federal *
                35 Rem *
                350 Rem Mag *
                375 Win *
                38-55 *

Like already said WSSMs and the WSMs except the 300 and 270

The SAUM family except the wild cat 6.5 which I never expect to be extremely popular when enough figure out it ain't magic

* denotes some of the list that I own or have owned

Comment

I bought 22 shorts off the shelf recently, and I don't get the 7 STW comments. They talk about them on the TV all the time.

Comment

Shorts were not on the shelves until the last few months and were mostly absent except for the CCI CBs for about 4 years following Sandy Hook

The STW is hit or miss for ammo and brass as it is a limited run production item for most manufactures from what I remember

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                      The Bren Ten.

Here is a caliber you never even hear much of anymore. 17mach2. Basically it was a 22lr necked down to a 17cal. Better quality bullet than a 22lr, like a 22 mag. Never took off.
                      isn't what your describing a 17hmr

Comment

17 mach 2 was a 22lr case not 22 mag like the hmr. I’m glad I didn’t buy one now.

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                          17 mach 2 was a 22lr case not 22 mag like the hmr. I’m glad I didn’t buy one now.
                          There was this necking down rage for a while. First too the 22mag...necked it to 17 cal...walaaa...17hmr.
                          Than . In the search for more $... The 22lr was necked down to 17 and you got the 17 mach2.
                          Better ballistics than the 22lr lrn bullets. Copper jacket polymer tip. Never took off.

Comment

I have a Remington in .350 Remington Magnum that's seems to have faded away into the sunset.. I can find new ammo but only sporadically. Need to pick up reloaded one of these years.

Comment

What about the .22 Jet ? Anybody remember that ? I had a Smith and Wesson Model 53 chambered for it, and as far as I know, that was the only firearm ever chambered for it. It was a .357 Magnum necked down to .22 caliber, and man was it LOUD ! It came with six stainless steel chamber inserts that .22 s, l, or lr cartridges could be loaded in. You had to pry the empty cases out of the inserts individually with your fingernails but it was a shooter. I killed bunches of snakes, a few armadillos, a bunch of squirrells and rabbits with it. And one skunk using the centerfire ammo at close to 100 yards with iron sights. Eighteen year old eyes and an accurate handgun makes a good combination ! I have neither the vision nor the handgun any more, but I wish I did......

Comment

don't know if it was posted or even really a popular round. but 7-30 Waters

Comment

Working...
                                X