6.5 Grendel build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel build

Someone asked about it so I’ll start a thread.
    I wanted an AR10 for years but hate the weight. So this is about as close as I’ll get.

I just ordered a Mega MKM Mega extended rifle length upper set. Billet receiver. 16” KeyMod rail. And an AXTS Raptor charging handle. I have an ADM mount and 3-18x50 VX6 sitting in the safe as a spare so I’ll throw that on it. Going with an AR15 performance 20” midweight barrel and rifle length gas system. They build them to get factory 123s touching the lands. I have several registered SBR lowers with good triggers so I will use one of those. Seekins billet with a hyper touch 24C. So here she goes. I’ll post pics along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add an adjustable gas block!

Comment

Following. I have a lower that is built up with a cmc trigger that has been sitting in the safe for a year. Finally decided Grendel is the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        I have to call the barrel guy tomorrow. I have several questions

Comment

I’ll share mine when it gets here. Impatiently waiting on it that’s for sure

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Ordered the 20” AR15 performance barrel, melonited carrier and their bolt. Ordered an SLR set screw adjustable gas block. Forgot to order a mag oops!!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Ordered the 20” AR15 performance barrel, melonited carrier and their bolt. Ordered an SLR set screw adjustable gas block. Forgot to order a mag oops!!
              I wish MagPul was making Grendel mags...........

Comment

I wish MagPul was making Grendel mags...........
                No joke. I’d love that. I don’t have a single metal mag except pistol and AR9.

Comment

You are gonna fall in love with that Grendel ! mine is 4 for 4 right now and I have only had it for a month.

Comment

Got my Larue grendel build about half duracoated so far, then be ready to assemble

Comment

Following to see how it turns out.

Comment

I am about to start an upper for my father. I will start a thread on that build as I start it.

Comment

So is this only if you shoot suppressed? Or all Grendel builds? Why on the Grendel?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                            So is this only if you shoot suppressed? Or all Grendel builds? Why on the Grendel?
                            From the early days the Grendel was known to be overgassed and would try to unlock the bolt while the barrel was still under pressure. This would result in torn up brass, violent extractions, heavier recoil and broken bolts.

Alot of this is due to it being a "reload" caliber and different powders have different burn rates and different powder volumes.

Having the adj gas block allows you to "tune" it to the load you are shooting. With a suppressor it is even more so. On mine it is almost all the way off.

I have an adjustable gas system (block or tube or BCG) on every AR I own, and would NEVER have a 6.8, Grendel, .300blk or any non 5.56 round AR without one.

Comment

I bought a budget Radical Firearms 6.5 grendel upper and put it on an extra Spike's lower that I had. After getting it sighted in with a Nikon P308 scope, my son fired a 3 shot group at 100 yards that you could cover with a quarter. I will get a pic of the target when I get a chance but I am really pleased with the upper, and the cartridge looks like a winner for deer sized game especially for my grand kids to use as it has a very light recoil. To say the least, I amvery pleased with the upper and the cartridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X