No announcement yet.

6.5 Creedmoor Haters and Fanboys Look Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. I haven't shot the gun yet, but was looking at the Boyd's stocks. I'm just not totally sold on the plastic stock yet. Anyone have any experience with Boyd's stocks or have a different stock they like? Looking for some real world experience. There are so many different reviews that say "best ever" and "never again". Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

It's a good cartridge, I've been working up loads for a Savage heavy barrel in that caliber that goes 1/2 moa pretty easy with most combinations. But it also doesn't do anything that lots of other rounds won't do, especially as a hunting round. It's a good choice for a light recoiling rifle for medium size game, and a good target cartridge in the right platform.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyartificial View Post
        I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. I haven't shot the gun yet, but was looking at the Boyd's stocks. I'm just not totally sold on the plastic stock yet. Anyone have any experience with Boyd's stocks or have a different stock they like? Looking for some real world experience. There are so many different reviews that say "best ever" and "never again". Any help would be appreciated.
        MDT makes one of their stocks for around $400 and Magpul is supposed to have one coming out for around $250. I have shot the MDT stock and its nice, but its all aluminum and gets cold on the hands.

Comment

I have the Bergara HMR 6.5 CM shot doe at 577yds DRT! They are the real deal.

Comment

It really fills a sweet spot at standard ranges, exceptional lethality on Texas game, and with minimal recoil. On paper and in practice I always come back to it. It isn't surprising at all to me that it is booming in popularity.

(With different marketing could it have been the 260 Rem that took off? Sure. The differences are negligible.)

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              It really fills a sweet spot at standard ranges, exceptional lethality on Texas game, and with minimal recoil. On paper and in practice I always come back to it. It isn't surprising at all to me that it is booming in popularity.

(With different marketing could it have been the 260 Rem that took off? Sure. The differences are negligible.)
              I was on that .260 bandwagon early. Remington dropped the ball.
              My rifle and the factory loads didn’t give me the results I wanted. Finally surrendered after a lot of time and money.
              Still think the 6.5 is “just right” for deer and hogs.

Comment

I like it alot

Comment

Nice looking gun. Awesome shot grouping too.

Comment

I bought the Boyds At 1 stock and i am very pleased with it. I like the way it feels and like the adjustments. It is a heavy gun with that stock, but both my boys can now shoot it as it fits their LOP. Its also nice being able to shorten the gun when you are in a box blind. Just my $.02

Comment

that is a good combo. It’s easy to bed the v blocks in the boyds and float the barrel (i’ve done 3). Search here on tbh for some threads on it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, any pics of the boyds you've done TxAg?

Comment

I bought a Boyds stock for my Axis .223. After breaking one of the plastic pieces that holds a screw, trying to get the magazine to actually engage and hold in place, I emailed the company and got the new plastic piece. Let it set on the shelf for months, ticked that I'd have to do anything to this stock to make it work after shelling out the dough. On a whim, looked up the problem on the net, found that several folks had had success by sanding a little bit off the lip of the magazine that catches on that plastic screw holder thing. I sanded a bit off, now the magazine closes and stays put.

Haven't shot it yet, very pleased with the aesthetics of the rifle vs the plastic flexi-stock. Wish it were a little more plug-and-play than it was, but oh well. I've heard they used to be that way, and have gone down in QC in the last few years. Hope your experience is better with them, but if you do have problems, look up what others have done to solve them. Maybe an easy fix like mine was.

Comment

Wait. You mean you shot it standing off of shooting sticks at 280? Or on a bipod? Shooting off sticks that far is no joke lol. Good shooting!!

Comment

Killing a deer at 280 yards is impressive? Just about any deer range caliber can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite13 View Post
                                My factory 6.5 does the same grouping as above with 143 elds

And that would be considered premium Ammo. I would expect it to shoot better than $15 Ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X