No announcement yet.

Best AR caliber for pigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.62x39mm is a good all around cartridge. been think about a mutant build since a sold my ak47

Comment

6.8SPC..........Consistently dropping hogs at 200+ yards.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I created this video with the YouTube Video Editor (http://www.youtube.com/editor)

Comment

450 Bushmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHAVGvGNR04&t=8s

Man that’s a clear optic. I’m skeered to ask, but what is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            Man that’s a clear optic. I’m skeered to ask, but what is it?

IR Hunter MK III 60mm

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
              7.62x39 heavy cheap bullets.
              This!!!!

Comment

I'm a fan of the 6.8 SPC.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                  Your using subsonic ammo in that AAC?
                  We were using Remington Hog Hammer bullets. To me they were still quiet enough that the bullet hitting the hog was the loudest part about it. I'd like to try a gun that's not suppressed,set up with thermal to see how they react. To me I think the biggest advantage is not having a light shining on them so that when they do run they're bound to run in your direction. But being suppressed I'm sure helped a bunch in that aspect too.

My buddy and I got in on a pretty good group of hogs and I was runnin the gun. My first shot hit a big sow between the eyes and dropped her. The closest pigs to her moved but didn't run except for another sow about her size. All she did was make a small loop and stopped at the dead one. I shot her in the head and a sow to the right took off. When I shot that one I got her in the lungs and she squealed. That's when the rest started running. I hit 14 out of 15 shots on that one field.

I've never killed or seen anything killed with subsonics so I'm not sure if that would be that much more of an advantage or not.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 12-24-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Yep I knew I should be skeered, lol.

Thanks for the info. Very nice thermal.

Comment

I don’t think much of that 300 AAC honestly. I think it’s good for up close or clearing out a room full of bad guys .

I have one and the upper was built by Sons of Liberty. 1-7 twist 16 inch barrel. I got a longer barrel to help velocity and shoot 130 gr bullets. It will kill a hog , but my 223 does too.

Them old fellas in my gun club are always tinkering with the 300. Trying different powders and bullets trying to make it something it ain’t. Wait, I’m old.....
                      Last edited by Radar; 12-24-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        I don’t think much of that 300 AAC honestly. I think it’s good for up close or clearing out a room full of bad guys .

I have one and the upper was built by Sons of Liberty. 1-7 twist 16 inch barrel. I got a longer barrel to help velocity and shoot 130 gr bullets. It will kill a hog , but my 223 does too.

Them old fellas in my gun club are always tinkering with the 300. Trying different powders and bullets trying to make it something it ain’t. Wait, I’m old.....
                        Inside of 150 yards it's awesome but then again I live in Oklahoma,we can't night hunt. So I can't justify spending money like that on a gun I'd only use every once in a while. For hogs it's great but like you said a .223 will kill a hog too. It's an all around awesome varmint killing caliber. If I lived in Texas and I knew my shots would be 200 yards or less in thick brush country I'd probably think about owning one. But like you mentioned a .223 will get the job done and I can use it here on the prairie on further shots and still do just fine.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 12-24-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I night hunt mostly. I been using digital night vision and just recently switched to thermal. I used to load for my 223 using Varget and 65 gr Sierra SBT bullets. Now I just buy 68 or 69 gr ammo.

An AR platform is really the only way to go on night hunting for hogs. I do kill quite a few and tried different calibers but always go back to 223.
                          Last edited by Radar; 12-24-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHAVGvGNR04&t=8s

Why shoot with no horizontal crosshairs?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              Why shoot with no horizontal crosshairs?
                              Crosshairs are present but for some reason, the mini dvr doesn't pick them up at certain magnifications.

Comment

one downside of 450/458 is that your 30 cal suppressor won’t work with it.

I vote Grendel - more energy at all ranges

Comment

Working...
                                X