No announcement yet.

School me on breaking in a new rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take my savages out of the box run a dry patch, zero it in and shoot then snot out of them then clean them after deer season maybe, if I'm not hog hunting with them. I too have Savage Axis XP2 in 223, 22-250 and 308 and those are some of the best shooting rifles out of the box. I'm done to just a handful of Remingtons but have several savage rifles. By the way, i hate cleaning guns. Pappabear and nozzlenut and several other guys here know how my rifles shoot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Chut it

Comment

Try this, I would break in a mass produced rifle, it’s not only to improve accuracy, but supposedly helps with cleaning down the line. I’ve done this procedure a few times, and groups do seem to improve around 30 shots!! Good luck. https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=13001

Comment

As the 'smith that rebarreled one of mine told me, "Go out and kill something with it."

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
            I have been reading this. What's a good bore guide?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            I used the Lucas back in my scrubbing days...I think Sinclair makes some good ones too.

I have gone to the foaming bore cleaners & use the weed-whacker string pull through method...the stuff is great!!

Comment

I don't even clean them anymore. Take it out and shoot it. The first two-three bullets will get the crap your trying to "clean" out of the barrel.

After shooting them, I just run a boresnake with a small spray of CLP through it 5 times. I don't run a brush unless I think the barrel is dirty enough to show problems with my grouping.

I have 5 new guns Ill be sighting next week. I'll save the groups and post the results.

Comment

Working...
              X