No announcement yet.

Shot placement with 22-250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... it's just not the best option out there. Why force it? Heck a 5.56 with a 75 grain hollow point(like hornady black) would be a better option. 243 is better option with good ole core bond 100 grainers. 22-250 Is a fur hunters gun. Most aren't even built with fast enough twist barrels to shoot much heavier than 62 grain pills.

Yeah you can kill them with it. I would shoot neck. Personally. But i grew up shooting them there. But I can kill them with a ball peen hammer too... doesn't make it the best option lol

Anybody who says 200 is too far for kid needs to be careful... That is a very kid dependent comment. I think Let the folks make the call on that one
    Last edited by catslayer; 11-06-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

That Federal TBBC was a true deer bullet. I don't know why federal stopped offering that bullet in 22-250. The Remington PSP and the Federal Blue Box will Punch through a shoulder. Remington hold together better(penetrates more), Federal makes a bigger hole. For kids, broadside shots, right behind the shoulder, deer are toast. Lungs are a big target.

Comment

Neck or middle of shoulder is where I shoot them with 22-250

Comment

There are ots better bullets today than when I was shooting quite a few deer with the 22-20 30 years ago, had a couple bad experiences back in the day with 60gr Hornady soft points one day, got both deer but lack of the bullet to hold together told me WRONG bullet. One a crater wound on edge of shoulder (shopped with bullet to brain on second shot) second one was quarter mile+ track job with shot centered in throat patch with deer looking at me from 30 yards.

With the advent of manufactures building us better bullets for the 22 cals it really ups the game. Nosler partitions, Nosler Bonded core, Federal fusion, Federal Trophy Bonded bear claw if you can find them all work well. lots like the Barnes but I haven't jumped on that train yet. The old 64gr Winchester power point and Serria 65gr Game king and Speer 70gr soft points have also worked well if you have the twist to stabilize them.

Best I found back 30 years ago were the long discontinued Nosler solid base bullets and I still have a couple hundred of them. haven't used hem in a while since I am not as mad at critters as I once was

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
            I go for lung shots as well nothing can live with no air.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
            yup. good enough for an arrow. good enough for a high speed projectile. my wife killed her first buck at 127 yards. told her aim for the arm pit just behind the shoulder. buck made it 36 yards before collapsing.

Comment

I have been killing a lot of pigs lately and decided to take my 22-250 for a planned shoulder shot. This pig took 5 rounds, and was still kicking when i got there. Three before it fell, and two fininsh off shots
              Last edited by BrianL; 11-06-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                I have been killing a lot of pigs lately and decided to take my 22-250 for a planned shoulder shot. This pig took 5 rounds, and was still kicking when i got there. Three before it fell, and two fininsh off shots

What Bullet? I’ve dropped a boat load of pigs with 22-250 using 53 grain Barnes TSX bullets. Most are DRT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sierra game king 55gn HPBT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    What Bullet? I’ve dropped a boat load of pigs with 22-250 using 53 grain Barnes TSX bullets. Most are DRT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All i can find are 50gr. I dont reload. Thinking of trying these.

Now that i have another 7-08, im getting it dialed in with 120gr sst custom lite reduced recoil, she will probably be shooting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

everybody who shoots a lot of deer is going to lose one.
                      hopefully your daughter got hers out of the way.
                      better luck next time
                      Stay away from bone with that caliber, and get her to keep practicing

Comment

Great shooting, shot my first and few deer after with a 22-250. Great caliber just be carful on the bullet selection, bought a box of rapid expanding varmit tips. Made a big entry hole and no exit, took the doe down but could have left me empety handed if it hit the shoulder bone.

Comment

Working...
                        X