No announcement yet.

6.5 vs the 5.56

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at 7mm-08. Moderate to light recoil, great accuracy, good for Elk at least to 300 yards. I owned a Ruger Hawkeye M77 compact with a 20" barrel and it was a tack driver

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
      If I could go back to when I was 18 I would not buy the 5.56 ar but probably 6.5, 300 blackout, or 7.62. I hate the 5.56 it is cheap and found at every store but honestly IN MY OPINION is a crappy round that has very little stopping power.

I'm not sure where you are hitting animals or with which bullet but my family has filled many a freezer with a 223/556. Is it my go-to round? No but I have done it numerous times and everything drops right where they were shot. I teach all my kids (3 so far, 1 left) on a 223 youth rifle.

To the OP, specifics are required. You need to ask yourself what needs you would like to fulfill.

Hunting or Target?
      Which Animals?
      Range (distance)?
      Is recoil a factor?
      All-around caliber or item specific?
      Ammo Cost
      Do you reload?
      Light Frame, heavy frame?
      Long barrel, short barrel?
      Bolt or semi?

Answer these questions and study ballistic charts and you can come to a conclusion in short order.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
        I'm not sure where you are hitting animals or with which bullet but my family has filled many a freezer with a 223/556. Is it my go-to round? No but I have done it numerous times and everything drops right where they were shot. I teach all my kids (3 so far, 1 left) on a 223 youth rifle.

To the OP, specifics are required. You need to ask yourself what needs you would like to fulfill.

Hunting or Target?
        Which Animals?
        Range (distance)?
        Is recoil a factor?
        All-around caliber or item specific?
        Ammo Cost
        Do you reload?
        Light Frame, heavy frame?
        Long barrel, short barrel?
        Bolt or semi?

Answer these questions and study ballistic charts and you can come to a conclusion in short order.
        Most of these were answered in post #9

Hunting Mule Deer and Elk (assume longer ranges)

Main factor was cheaper ammo and a lighter gun.

Comment

6.5 has MUCH higher BCs and a LOT more energy much better performance at any range over the the 5.56 and has multiple different cartridges 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55, 6.5x284, 6.5 creedmoor etc. 6.5 creedmoor is probably the most popular people have taken varmints to elk and bear with it. The BCs of the 6.5 allow it to retain a lot of energy and cut through wind and atmospheric conditions very well at long ranges. The 7.62 or 308 will have more energy than the Creedmoor out to about 500-600 yards. There is one or 2 factory 308 loads that will keep up maybe out do the creedmoor as far as energy and drop go beyond 500-600 yds. That doesn't mean that your rifle will shoot those loads worth a crap though. I don't know of a factory 308 ammo that will drift less in the wind than a creedmoor though.

Creedmoor ammo can be found for around $18-$50+ so pretty much the same as the 308 price wise. With my creedmoor made multiple hits on a 32" area at a mile, and it is submoa all day at 1200 yds. The furthest I have taken anything with it is a 200+ lb mulie at 200 yds. He drop in his tracks from top half shoulder shot and the bullet busted through both shoulders. Go to Nikon spot on or some ballistics calculator on line and play with different loads and look at drop, drift and energy and compare them.

Any caliber that will take down big game will come in lighter models from pretty much any manufacturer these days 300WM, 7mm Mag, 308 win, 6.5 CM etc... Sounds like you may want to look more at models of rifles rather than caliber. At that point its all about how much you want to spend. Personally a lighter model rifle for me would mean extra money for a threaded barrel and a muzzle break. That's because I like to shoot my rifles a lot not just when I hunt. I am cheap so availability and inexpensive ammo is a big deal to me. If I stepped up to elk I would want a 7mm Mag or 300 win mag. I have always been told to break them down so a higher shoulder shot so I would want more energy as far out as I can get it.

Comment

Working...
          X