Just a FYI on suppressors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a FYI on suppressors

A little video that shows the reality of suppressed hunting. A can is not a magic bullet that will keep hunters being undetected. Yes it does quieten down the rifle but not HollyWood quiet. For me personally its about being able to shoot without hearing protection and comfort.
    Demonstration of what animals hear from suppressed rifles. 6.8spc, 300 blackout, .45acp carbine, .22lr, and 5.56/.223. Suppressors used gemtech hvt, silenc...

Let the flames begin.

Interesting, i thought is would be quieter on there end but not so much.

Comment

That's why I only bought one. I just couldn't see the gain.

Comment

I almost always hunt with a suppressed 308 ar. Sometimes other guys on the lease hear my shots and sometimes they do not. Definitely not movie quiet. But it is a world of difference from the shooter's perspective when going without hearing protection. The cost and wait were well worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
          I almost always hunt with a suppressed 308 ar. Sometimes other guys on the lease hear my shots and sometimes they do not. Definitely not movie quiet. But it is a world of difference from the shooter's perspective when going without hearing protection. The cost and wait were well worth it to me.
          I agree, I prefer to hunt and practice suppressed.

Comment

Yes I was surprised the first time I hunted with one! Too bad they aren't quieter

But it does help on follow up shots for thermal pig hunting.

Comment

I've had good luck with subsonic .22lr suppressed on turkey and coons without them getting too nervous on the first few shots. The video confirms that the .22 has the least amount of impact noise although I don't know why he didn't use subsonics. I already knew that anything supersonic would still be loud downrange and was tempted to build a suppressor for a 45-70 with 500gr subsonics but didn't realize the thwack would be that loud. That video did prove that a big heavy bullet is what you need for subsonics, that hog was really jolting with the 45 acp.

Comment

Yeah, most people don't understand that unless you're shooting subsonic ammunition, your still gonna be heard. I shoot full power .223 ammo through mine, but it still sounds like a .22

My father had a Contender in .30 Herret. He has some handloaded subsonics that all you can hear is the hammer fall and the bullet hitting the backstop. or the coon! It's fun to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                  Yeah, most people don't understand that unless you're shooting subsonic ammunition, your still gonna be heard. I shoot full power .223 ammo through mine, but it still sounds like a .22

My father had a Contender in .30 Herret. He has some handloaded subsonics that all you can hear is the hammer fall and the bullet hitting the backstop. or the coon! It's fun to shoot.
                  Yes, that pesky sound barrier. Most people are ignorant of suppressors and what they can do.

Comment

Watch it again, there was subsonic ammo used in 5.56, 300 blackout and 45 acp. It wasn't the impact you hear its the firing of the rifle.
                    Some people put super powers to subsonic ammo.

Comment

He's shooting supersonic in 5.56. The audio doesn't really give you a good representation of the actual sound.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                        He's shooting supersonic in 5.56. The audio doesn't really give you a good representation of the actual sound.
                        My bad, yep supersonic 556.
                        I was paying more attention to the db meters at both locations since like you say the audio does not give a good representation of the sound. That is usually due the the camera.

Comment

A few years ago an engineer I worked with was talking about getting a suppressor in which the suppressor was part of the barrel (???). He claimed that since it would break the sound barrier while still in the barrel, you wouldn't hear the sonic boom. Makes me wonder how he got his degree.

Comment

I just shot skeet with my new shotgun suppressor. Talk about weird looking with it on the end! Anyway it was still loud. But you could shoot without ear protection. (Technically you are still supposed to.)

My son shot his first hog with my AR yesterday from the stand with a suppressor and it was nice being able to help him and me not wearing hearing protection- it made it safer to me because we could communicate easy.

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
                              A few years ago an engineer I worked with was talking about getting a suppressor in which the suppressor was part of the barrel (???). He claimed that since it would break the sound barrier while still in the barrel, you wouldn't hear the sonic boom. Makes me wonder how he got his degree.
                              Some of the dumbest things I have ever heard were from Engineers. There are a lot in my profession that have no common sense at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X