• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long range ballistics guru's???

168 Hunting VLD
    Scope height 1.8
    2635 fps
    100 yard zero

I use both Ballistic AE and most currently BallisticArc with its weather meter.

100, 300, 500, 600, 800 & 1000 yards have been shot. Ballistics charts are spot on to 800 but at 1000 it's a full minute low.

If I correct velocity for this I will be 2 min high at 800.

What would you do?

Have you verified kestrel readings at the target? I would correct for that range and condition and log it. The electronic tools are great but you should shoot from your logs. Any oncoming wind will push it low. Tools are great; however, shoot with your known dope. You need to know target conditions to figure out what is off at that range with a .308.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Frankly, 11 inches low at 1k is not bad for that setup. I would log it and correct on your rifle side dope card. You are reaching out there for that fps and bullet.

Comment

One other thought - You can try keeping the ammo in a cooler for constant firing temp. I would expect overpressure signs if the ammo is hot. However, the key is consistency throuout all phases. Does your brass show ejector marks or anything to help narrow down the issue? Again, if ammo heat was the issue I would expect you could go back to 300 and shoot a diff poi, just something to consider.

Comment

What's your estimated velocity at the target?

Comment

I guess one final thought - if you are shooting into a stagnant strait up boil of mirage at that range you will see a minute or more of target shift.

Comment

Adjust your BC. Also, assuming you are shooting the same direction for all ranges. If you are shooting east on the 1000yd and west for the 800, coriolis can be this far off.
              Last edited by JakeGraves; 08-15-2017, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                Have you verified kestrel readings at the target? I would correct for that range and condition and log it. The electronic tools are great but you should shoot from your logs. Any oncoming wind will push it low. Tools are great; however, shoot with your known dope. You need to know target conditions to figure out what is off at that range with a .308.

I did not take the meter to the target, used at the shooting mat only but there was not a breath of wind. Shooting down an East Texas pipeline through tall pine timber.

Charts are great but we are about to gain 7500' of elevation so I need to try to get my dope in the electronics on as good as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                  Adjust your BC. Also, assuming you are shooting the same direction for all ranges. If you are shooting east on the 1000yd and west for the 800, coriolis can be this far off.
                  all shots were due north down the same 60' wide pipeline

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                    what's your estimated velocity at the target?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      You sure about this?

My quick calculator shows it at ~1100. Just concerned if you do not stay hypersonic that you are dealing with the effects of it passing thru the hyper/subsonic boundary and being knocked out of stability.

Comment

Have you tried a different app? I use strelok pro. I like it over AB.

Comment

Long range ballistics guru's???

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                          You sure about this?

My quick calculator shows it at ~1100. Just concerned if you do not stay hypersonic that you are dealing with the effects of it passing thru the hyper/subsonic boundary and being knocked out of stability.

I'm not positive, that's what BallisticArc showed with true weather but AE show closer to 1150.

I really think the grouping was too good to be going subsonic though.

A rain shower was approaching quickly while we were shooting, is it possible a sudden increase in humidity could do thus?
                          Last edited by bboswell; 08-15-2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                            You sure about this?

Mine shows it at 1176 @ 1000.

What is your come up at 800 & 1000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Mine shows it at 1176 @ 1000.

What is your come up at 800 & 1000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

37.1 actual (36.1 per chart)

Comment

Working...
                              X