Custom Rifle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
    I was in same boat for all around TX custom hunting rifle and settled on a 7mm-08 with 1:9 twist on a 20” barrel. I can’t imagine it not doing the trick for my needs within 400-500yds or less. Ready to get my hands on it... Love my Browning .280 A-Bolt too. It’s a shooter!
    when this thread was first started I said .308. I have recently sold my .308 and gathering all my parts to build a 7-08 same length and twist. Cant wait to get it done!

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      you have a $2700 rifle with a $25 trigger

throw the Xmark away and drop in a 1.5# Jewell
      Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
      You are very right! Doesn't make too much sense and I'll be making a change soon.
      I had a GAP 243 that was built with the reworked Xmark trigger and let me tell you it was as good if not better than a Timney. They did an excellent job with it. With that being said I wouldnt waste the money on it if I had a choice but for what you get it really is hard to beat.

Short Action Customs falls into the same category as GAP for me. You are paying a premium for a name. Is it worth it? Ive owned both if that tell you how I feel but for someone looking for best bang for their buck SAC is not it.

It has been my experience if you buy the parts as the funds are available and then send the parts in to be done all at one time, the price of the build is easier to swallow. I sent all of my barreled action parts to Long Rifles Inc and they put it together, cerakoted the barrel, thread and install their brake for less than 600 bucks. Turn around was less than 10 days by the way.

Take your time and do your research.

Comment

Originally posted by etxccampbell View Post
        6.5 SAUM or 6.5 PRC

6.5 PRC has factory ammo!!
        I hope the 6.5 PRC takes off soon because, I am thinking that would be a nice build.

Comment

You can buy factory 6.5 SAUM ammo from Copper Creek and someone else but I forget the name. I’ll bet we will see others down the road as it’s really become fairly popular. We’ll see.

I’m working on a do-it-all again. Lol! Having WTO build me a Switchlug rifle on a Bighorn SR3 with Bartlein 3B barrels in 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 Sherman Shortmag and 300wsm. Nothing in NA I can’t kill with those calibers and, for the cost of a barrel, I can have any short action caliber I want on that rifle. Idea being- ultimate familiarity with one setup that can become any number of calibers with a 60 second barrel and bolt head swap, using a single tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

25/06. Or perhaps .280 Remington.

I'm old and I'm not going to hunt outside the states of Texas
            and Oklahoma. Nor am I interested in killing exotics.

Bob Lee

Comment

Working...
            X