44 mag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

44 mag.

Just picked one up.....wondering about good hunting rounds or even loads you have used.
    Right now shooting whitebox but if you got something more effective i would sure like to know about them...thanks.

On a side note...why all the hype on recoil and whatnot...i didnt find it all that scary really...the first shot was ,,but only because of the hype.

Sorry about double post....the original loaded strange so wasnt sure it loaded at all.

Comment

Reload. Good excuse for a simple kit.

My favorite hunting load was 300gr XTP over a case full of H110. Don't remember the exact charge, let's just say it was warm.

Plinking loads were a 240gr Keith style (semi-wadcutter) running around 1000fps using Unique to push it.

Look up and see if there are any IHMSA competitions in your area. I used to shoot them. Lots of fun and you really learn what you and your gun are capable of. I never got the elusive 40 (perfect score) with the revolver (Ruger Super Blackhawk), but had several 38's and 39's. Misses were always the turkeys at 150.

Comment

So many different ways to load the 44mag, you almost need two lifetimes to enjoy it! I really like the Nosler 240gr JSP, because it expands but is still tough enough to break heavy bone. The 250gr Keith bullet loaded to 1100fps will go lengthwise through a deer. I have loaded a 265gr hardcast bullet to 1400fps in a Ruger SBH, but unless you are hunting moose I cannot imagine needing that much power. I never cared for the 300gr XTP but I know a lot of people like it. Also the Speer 270gr Gold Dot is another bullet I like. Never fooled around with the 180gr much except in 44sp.

Comment

I don't shoot a 44 Mag Pistol but my favorite 44 Mag Rifle load is a Speer 300 Gr JSP and Win 296 ... Puts critters down with authority and good at 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post

On a side note...why all the hype on recoil and whatnot...i didnt find it all that scary really...the first shot was ,,but only because of the hype.
            I was the same way when I first shot mine. It's a 5.5"-barreled Redhawk and I had visions of the pistol recoiling above my head. Nope.

I just shoot the white box ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post

My favorite hunting load was 300gr XTP over a case full of H110. Don't remember the exact charge, let's just say it was warm.

Plinking loads were a 240gr Keith style (semi-wadcutter) running around 1000fps using Unique to push it.

Look up and see if there are any IHMSA competitions in your area. I used to shoot them. Lots of fun and you really learn what you and your gun are capable of. I never got the elusive 40 (perfect score) with the revolver (Ruger Super Blackhawk), but had several 38's and 39's. Misses were always the turkeys at 150.
              Excellent info right here. I have been shooting the .44 for 35 years (Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk)

FYI...Public Safety annoucement. NEVER shoot full blown factory loads from a Model 1844 Lever Action Rifle with steel buttplate. Just sayin!!

Comment

I enjoy my Ruger Super Blackhawk and Ruger 44 Carbine--a beautiful combination. The white box are pretty mild. I reload moderate load cast semi-wadcutters in the pistol, and JSP over Ramshot Enforcer in the rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post

Yep. I shoot a 310 grain lead gas checked bullet over h110 for hunting and a 200 grain round nose over titegroup for plinking.

Comment

I like the Hornady XTP 200 grain over a near max load of WW-296, my brother and I have taked many deer with this load.

Comment

Thanks for all the info ...theres a lot to start with here....absolutely fell in love with this caliber !

Comment

What i found was an old jp sauer and sohn ..i cant believe how accurate this thing is..had to remake the grips but osage looks good on it...its got a little holster wear ,other than that shoots like a dream!

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
                          What i found was an old jp sauer and sohn ..i cant believe how accurate this thing is..had to remake the grips but osage looks good on it...its got a little holster wear ,other than that shoots like a dream!
                          Be careful on heavy loads in the older pistols. Also check that there isn't an excessive cylinder gap. If there is you will get cutting of topstrap if you try to push it too hard.

Comment

Buffalo Bore?

Comment

academy had some 44 mag on clearance locally. as a matter of fact there was a TON of ammo marked 30-50% off. picked up a box of 44 mag for something like 14$.

Comment

Working...
                              X