Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Synthetic vs. wood stocks and recoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic vs. wood stocks and recoil

True or false:

A gun with a synthetic stock kicks harder than a wood stock. Not only is there a weight difference, but the wood stock absorbs the energy better than a synthetic.

The reason I'm asking: I have a synthetic stocked .243 (Marlin XLS) and I swear it kicks as hard as my old wood-stocked 30.06. Just wondering what everybody else thought. I've read several times that the above statement is true.

I think there is a relation but also, and more importantly I think, it's the gun design

But there's more educated folks than myself

Comment

For me I do not know as all of my guns are wood stock instead of plastic/synthetic.

I just like the look of them.

But my old Mossberg 88 with slugs and synthetic stock did kick like a mule.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
        True or false:

A gun with a synthetic stock kicks harder than a wood stock. Not only is there a weight difference, but the wood stock absorbs the energy better than a synthetic.

The reason I'm asking: I have a synthetic stocked .243 (Marlin XLS) and I swear it kicks as hard as my old wood-stocked 30.06. Just wondering what everybody else thought. I've read several times that the above statement is true.
        Yeah weight has a lot to do with it of course but how the gun is bedded and designed and if it does or doesn't have a recoil lug and whether or not it has a kick pad and how good of one it has all makes a big difference. If its a hollowed synthetic stock you could fill gaps it with epoxy or something like that to add weight to it or a limbsaver recoil pad or a mercury filled metal recoil reduction tube put in the stock with foam or something.

Comment

I'm saying false, That's just from my experience. But I don't buy the cheap-o super-lite synthetic stock guns. I prefer synthetic. I hate scratching up a pretty wood stock. I think design has a lot to do with it, and weight obviously. Weatherby Vanguard S2 is a good example of a nice synthetic stock reasonably priced rifle with a decent weight to it that doesn't kick bad at all in your bigger calibers. My dad has two Winchester Model 70 wood stock 30-06's that will knock your shoulder off.

Comment

I think it's all in stock design. Strangely enough, I had a Marlin XL7 in 30-06 that was quite pleasant to shoot. A TC Encore of about the same weight was brutal in both .308 and 30-06, with either the walnut or thumbhole stock.

Comment

Prefer synthetic but also love the thumbhole laminate as well? No help but one thing I do know at least for me and the boys....I notice EVERY little blemish or scratch on wood...just one of the reasons we have gone to synthetic and SS instead of blue. I do believe weight and design has a lot to do with recoil, but the big calibers are long gone for me and my old fart shoulders.

Comment

I understand everybodys liking to synthetic but it does not it for me. Old school wood here for me with battle scars is the I go.

Comment

Shape of the stock (drop at heel, comb height, etc), weight, and composition of the recoil pad are the factors I would argue for over stock material.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                    Shape of the stock (drop at heel, comb height, etc), weight, and composition of the recoil pad are the factors I would argue for over stock material.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      x3 and add the width of the butt and overall gun fit. Way too many factors to make such a sweeping generalization.

LWD

Comment

Working...
                      X