No announcement yet.

Who hunts with a .308?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my 308! the coyotes............not so much.

[ATTACH]833873[/ATTACH]

Comment

Dislike: I don't use it enough...

Comment

Bump

Comment

I don't have a single complaint about my Rem700 SPS. Love that gun!

Comment

Love my 308. Killed all kind of game with it up to elk.

Comment

I do, I do! Most versatile round there is in my opinion. Just can't shoot 100 rounds of it at the round without tenderizing the shoulder.

Comment

Old school Winchester pre 64 model 70 featherweight .308, my uncles old gun. Best gun

Comment

90 % it's the 308 and with the proper bullet/powder combination 300 yards isn't a problem.

I can stretch it further but 300 yards is the furthest shot on my land .due to neighbors and other stands.

Maximum effective range according to military specs as asniper round is 800 Meters but it can go further ..

Comment

I just bought a savage hog hunter and in limited testing really like it. I bought it for a short barreled suppressed deer lease rifle where the longest shot is 350 yards. That's nearing it's maximum killing range IMO.

To those of you who say or think they're good at 800, they're not IMO. It all boils down to terminal velocity. Most all big game bullets are designed to effectively and PREDICTABLY perform on game at a minimum velocity of 1800 FPS. A few are good at less velocity but not many. Additionally, most don't have enough scope to dial in that much drop and holding over is nothing more that a WAG at that range.

When your bullet slows to below 1800 fps your risking it not properly expanding. I personally like 2000 for a safe margin and more effective killing ability. That's why true long range is best suited for heavy 7's, 6.5's and the heaviest of 30 call starting at 3000 fps or better from the muzzle. That means a magnum in most cases or a hot rod such as the 6.5x284 or the tried and true 280AI for non-magnums.

Keep the 308 for what's it's best suited; punching paper or killing deer, elk, bear, axis, antelope, moose, mountain goat, wild sheep, hogs, squirrels, yotes and the such at ranges well inside of 500 yards.

Comment

All but two deer I've shot have been with a 16.5" 700 PSS LTR that I used to handload for because it drove tacks...
                      until once when I forgot the ammo at home and borrowed a box of Rem 150 Core-Lokt's and they shot just as good and performed flawlessly and at $18 a box I quit reloading for it.
                      It still drives tacks.

Comment

For a casual hunter who wants to occasionally shoot bigger game than you find in Texas and only have one gun and buy ammo everywhere...

it's a toss up between .308 and 270 win.

It's difficult for me to imagine only having one gun though.

Comment

I haven't had as good of results as the rest of the folks here. Of course I owned 3 or more rifles before I decided it was for me.

Comment

I currently have one and am looking to get rid of it.... thought i would like it more but i didnt... maybe just to much for me.

Comment

I do. Killed deer, hogs, and a couple yotes all with .308

Comment

My police sniper rifle was a Remington 700P in.308. Great rifle. I really like that round and I'm used to the ballistics of it.

I hunt with an open-sighted M1A.

The only downside might be if you're hunting rabbits or squirrels

Comment

Working...
                                X