Originally posted by TxAg View Post
    Here's something to wet your whistle

[ATTACH]832180[/ATTACH]

Wooowee! Very very nice!

Comment

Check out marlinowners.com

They hate hate hate any remington made marlin, including the current ones

I'd get a Henry or an old Marlin (pre 2008ish I believe)
      Yeah, I'm on there. I have JM stamped 336s. I have heard that Remlins have better QC now, but I won't buy one as long as I can find JM stamped Marlins.

Comment

Originally posted by QACZ71 View Post
        Is this on "far" shots or typical lever range? Shooting straight through the shoulders or behind? Also what projectile is this?

I'd say 150 and under with 100 being average.
        To the best of my knowledge- the only factory loads for the .308 marlin express are Hornady flex tip ammo in 140 and 160 ( or something to that effect).
        He's tried and used both.
        Shoulder lung area shots usually taken.

Alot if his kills with it are boom flops or they don't get far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's something to wet your whistle

[ATTACH]832180[/ATTACH]
          That's pretty dang sweet

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
          The 200gr Corelokt is all you'll ever need with the 35 Rem. The Leverevolution is possibly is a little flatter shooting but once you see what the plain ol 200gr Corelokt is capable of you'll see there's no need to get fancy with it. Heck if anything, I'd handload the Speer 180gr pointed flat point. Tough enough for 35 Whelen velocity but a little flatter shooting.

On the older Marlins I would just look at the exterior for faded bluing or putting. Try to avoid that because there's so many out there you can afford to be picky. The wood should not be damaged, cracked, or loose fitting. Grain is generally plain but there are some beauties out there.

The most common thing i see on older Marlins that might get worn and need replacing is the lever catch. Otherwise, make sure the sights are original or are an upgraded set, metal and wood in good condition, and as best possible use a flashlight to check the bore. Most lever guns shoot at such
          moderate velocities that barrel wear is generally minor if any.
          Is it preferable to be pre cross bolt safety? Always seems to be it's hard to beat the old green and yella box. Saw a few of them like this. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/607552344

Comment

Henry has the new Long Ranger in modern cartridges, if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              Henry has the new Long Ranger in modern cartridges, if you're interested.
              I want a different caliber than the standard ones is the reason I've been eyeballing the Marlins.

Comment

Found a pretty nice 375 JM marked Marlin which fit the bill for odd caliber , but Ammo is almost impossible to find. Anyone know anything about the possible value on this rifle? Shop had 700 on the tag.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                  Marlin. Not crazy about the loading system on the Henry.
                  This. Get the Marlin and plan on upgrading the trigger and the sights. I gave my son a Marlin in 30-30 last Christmas. I'm going to give you the good and the bad. We had to send it back for a loading gate issue. The original trigger sucked, and the lever has sharp edges that I will eventually get around to smoothing out. The action screws come loose regularly and have to be tightened. I upgraded the trigger (Wild West guns) and got a good peep sight from Skinner. I'm no expert, but I shoot 1.5" three shot groups all day long at 100 yards with that rifle with cheap Remington core lockts. I'm now jealous of that gun. I hate what Remington has done to themselves and to Marlin, but, with a little work, the 336's are still great rifles.

Comment

Interesting comments.

I'd go Marlin but that's only because the Henry doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

I have a 45-70 Guide gun but I'm not sure if it's pre or post Remington. I bought it used about 4 years ago.

Honestly, it shoots so good I'm afraid to go look for the JM stamp. Mine shoots 1 inch at 100 and 3 inches at 200 with the 325 grain flex tips. I took a doe last season at 210 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      Interesting comments.

I'd go Marlin but that's only because the Henry doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

I have a 45-70 Guide gun but I'm not sure if it's pre or post Remington. I bought it used about 4 years ago.

Honestly, it shoots so good I'm afraid to go look for the JM stamp. Mine shoots 1 inch at 100 and 3 inches at 200 with the 325 grain flex tips. I took a doe last season at 210 yards.

Is the serial number behind the hammer on the tang or is it on the side of the receiver?

Comment

Like I said, I'm afraid to look after all the talk.

Bottom line is she's a shooter.

Comment

I've got an old model 336 JM stamped 30-30 and a newer model 1895 44 mag. I like em both. Never considered a Henry besides their .22's....

Comment

I have both a Marlin 30-30 and a 444 Marlin. Both are JM stamped. Good for mouse to mastadon.

Comment

Not exactly what I had asked about, however we found an oldie but goodie Savage 99 in 300SAV. Dad had wanted to get one for me for a while finally found one stashed in Canelas. Hope to get her out this weekend to see how she (I) will do with open sights. Anyone have any favorite rounds through these? Picked up some Rem Core-lokts 150gr and some Federal 180gr SP.

Comment

Originally posted by QACZ71 View Post
                                Not exactly what I had asked about, however we found an oldie but goodie Savage 99 in 300SAV. Dad had wanted to get one for me for a while finally found one stashed in Canelas. Hope to get her out this weekend to see how she (I) will do with open sights. Anyone have any favorite rounds through these? Picked up some Rem Core-lokts 150gr and some Federal 180gr SP.

That's a nice rifle!

Comment

Working...
                                X