Riffle question for my daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riffle question for my daughter

My little girl is 8 and very small for her age, I was thinking about a 22-250 but not sure if it's enough knock down, I know it's all about shot placement that's why I'm asking yalls opinion. Also thinking about buying a Ar-10 cause I shoot a 308 as my deer riffle. She has a very short reach that's why I'm asking about a AR because of the collapse stock but it might be to much recoil for her, I don't want to scare her of the kick.

Build or buy a 6.5 Grendel. Close to same ballistics as the 308 with less recoil.

Comment

I put together a 6x45 in an AR platform for that very reason. We can shoot 85 grain bullets with very little recoil.

Comment

.22-250 will be fine. That's what I started my son on when he was 6.

Comment

I'm not a big AR guy but it'll work good for that. You can buy a break for $30 bucks for it and it has even less recoil. I started my daughter with a youth 243 with light loads and 80g barnes ttsx.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	24476984 22-250 Low recoil means accuracy for slightly built hunters. My daughter weighs 69lbs at 9years old. The hog was big, close to 200#s Im sure.

Comment

Or a youth sized rifle in 243 and shoot the reduced power (reduced recoil) loads. She can go up on power when she's ready and you can also replace the stock when she outgrows it.

My daughter just shot a doe last weekend with this setup and the deer dropped in her tracks.
              Bullet placement is key but the bullet did a lot og damage, too. She shoots the Hornady Custom Lite ammo.

Comment

I second the 6x45 in an AR. I built one for my daughter. Nice rifle with very little recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  [ATTACH]830942[/ATTACH] 22-250 Low recoil means accuracy for slightly built hunters. My daughter weighs 69lbs at 9years old. The hog was big, close to 200#s Im sure.
                  Great shot!

Comment

22-250 will be fine and I also agree with the AR. My 7 year old that is very small for his age shoots my AR in .223 lights out. With the new bonded bullets that are out even the little .223 is heck on wheels for medium game. I reloaded some Nosler 62 grain bonded performance bullets and he has taken 2 deer so far and they have not ran more than 30 yards and have been complete pass thu. Last thing you want to do is start a kid out on a rife that has more recoil than they are comfortable with and they learn bad habits right off the bat.

Comment

22-250 or 243. Buy a heavy gun/scope combo and there will be minimal recoil. Shoot for a 10# rig

Comment

Thanks guys think I'm gonna stick with a 22-250

Comment

I've shot 22-250 a long time (since 1990) I started my boys shooting on it because of hardly no recoil. With well placed shots we've put down several deer and many hogs. It's a flat shooting rifle.

Comment

7-08 or 30-30

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                              7-08 or 30-30
                              A little too much recoil for a 70# child...imo

Comment

Working...
                              X