308 Barrel Help (Copper Fouling?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

308 Barrel Help (Copper Fouling?)

We had some big rains lately and water got in my safe. Pulled the Rem 700 308 SPS out and started cleaning it inside and out thoroughly... I hand load and have been fine tuning a load so it has not been this detailed (cleaned) in the past 300 rounds... That being said, when I thought I was done I noticed some "cuts" in the barrel close to the muzzle, like the last inch or so... I cleaned it some more thinking it was just gunk, but nothing happened...

Does this look like copper jacket build up or are these some serious cuts in my barrel!?

Thoughts?
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean then evaluate I use wipeout foaming bore cleaner........best I have ever used period!

Comment

Sure looks like a tool mark but thats an odd place to see one. Most of my recent 700's had rough chambers but the rifling looks good.

Comment

If you decide it needs a barrel I've got a 308 I'm kicking around rebarreling and selling current barrel. It's on a model 70 now but could be cut down and rethreated/chambered.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
          Clean then evaluate I use wipeout foaming bore cleaner........best I have ever used period!

I cleaned the crap out of it, then when I noticed it I went to town on that specific area but didn't look like I did much good... I don't have any bore/copper cleaner tho. I was just using CLP with wire brush and patches! Guess I need to find some copper bore cleaner and let it soak

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
            If you decide it needs a barrel I've got a 308 I'm kicking around rebarreling and selling current barrel. It's on a model 70 now but could be cut down and rethreated/chambered.

I'm hoping it doesn't come to that!!! I've been working up a specific load and if these marks have been there awhile then it definitely doesn't effect the accuracy much. Still shoots under 1" at 200 yards

Comment

Get you some Gunslick or Wipeout foaming bore cleaner and try that. If that doesn't remove it, find someone with a bore scope and see what it really is. If nothing else, cutting an inch or so off that muzzle probably won't hurt accuracy at all, and won't cost much either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like pitting to me ; If accuracy is NOT being effected, no need to remove the copper

CLP is a lubricant , not a carbon or copper remover

Buy some Wipe Out , Montana Extreme, or Butch's Bore Shine to clean the bore

Comment

Find some sweets.....soak it for a long time...clean repete

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                    Find some sweets.....soak it for a long time...clean repete

That's what buddy and his armorer recommended I use. They said don't let it sit more than 15-20 minutes. I was like. Here you clean it I'll pay.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkuzKRaiKKw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkuzKRaiKKw[/ame]

Comment

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a borescope. They are pretty cheap nowadays and I've found countless uses for mine. Ever wonder what the inside of a cylinder looks like in your engine? Now you can find out and a million other uses.

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
                          I cleaned the crap out of it, then when I noticed it I went to town on that specific area but didn't look like I did much good... I don't have any bore/copper cleaner tho. I was just using CLP with wire brush and patches! Guess I need to find some copper bore cleaner and let it soak

This will get all the copper out. Just foam it up let it sit overnight and swab it out. Repeat till you get no blue coming out. In the 100 y/o 30.06 it only took 6 times. In most it is done in 1-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                            This was the video that convinced me to try it......after using it I am convinced.

Comment

buy a bore camera off of Amazon, you can see exactly what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X