Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model 700 270 win rebuild? Which caliber to build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.260 Remington. Such an amazing round. Extremely fast and very accurate. I am turning my .270 remington 700 into a .260rem as soon as I find the perfect shop to do the work. My buddy hit steel at 500yrds at 3.03 seconds using preloaded rounds with his 700 Remington chambered in .260. Imagine custom loaded rounds

Comment

I don't think the boldface will bring this rifle to a .30 caliber??? I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by drube75 View Post
        .260 Remington. Such an amazing round. Extremely fast and very accurate. I am turning my .270 remington 700 into a .260rem as soon as I find the perfect shop to do the work. My buddy hit steel at 500yrds at 3.03 seconds using preloaded rounds with his 700 Remington chambered in .260. Imagine custom loaded rounds

Yea one of my co workers loves his 260 rem. It is definitely one I've been thinking about.

Comment

Heard Clint has one that's extremely accurate

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
            None of the calibers mentioned really "beat" .270, except maybe the .35 Whelen and the .338/06, and then only on larger game. I'd get a varied selection of handloading components, (or ammo) mount some decent optics on the rifle, if it doesn't already have them, bed it, if it needs it (lots of 700's need to be), or re stock it, and just see how well it will perform. Lots of factory barrels perform well when fed ammo they like and out of a properly bedded rifle. IMHO.
            Depends on what your criteria are. A lot of the 6.5mm rounds being proposed (especially 6.5-06 and 6.5-284) will outperform the .270 at longer ranges with less wind drift, more energy, and less recoil.

Originally posted by drube75 View Post
            I don't think the boldface will bring this rifle to a .30 caliber??? I may be wrong.
            As long as it isn't a magnum type case, I think every round mentioned has the same bolt face as his .270 win.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfactory7 View Post
              Depends on what your criteria are. A lot of the 6.5mm rounds being proposed (especially 6.5-06 and 6.5-284) will outperform the .270 at longer ranges with less wind drift, more energy, and less recoil.

X2

What are your needs/intentions for this rifle?

I'm a 6.5 guy. I have zero problem with recoil but see no need for it unless I need a heavy round; in which case I'm going to my 300wm. Short of that, the light recoil of the 6.5 family makes target shooting a lot more fun. Plus, there's a reason why 6.5 dominates the long range shooting world; particularly the practical shooting competition world. If you're looking to rebuild your .270 it sure sounds like you're in the market for something OTHER than another .270.

Besides the 6.5CM & .260 Remington, I'd look at the 6.5x47 Lapua and the 6.5x284. Other than the Creedmoor, all three of those are available in Lapua brass, if you're a reloader.

It really comes down to what YOU want in a rifle and what you need it to do. Good luck with your choice - there are some great caliber a mentioned. Really, you're not going to go "wrong" with any of them.

Comment

6.5x284, 260, or 6.5x47. I know one of my 270s will be turned into a 6.5x284 when the time comes.

Comment

What are you expecting from this rifle? Do you reload? There are a lot of good recommendations above. If you reload you may consider just sending it to Pacnor and having a new 1:8 twist barrel installed in 270 or 270AI, install a new Jewell trigger and new stock. The 1:8 twist would allow you to reload the new 170 grain .277 Berger bullets with a .625 BC you would be carrying 1000 foot pounds of energy at 1000 yards.

Comment

Model 700 270 win rebuild? Which caliber to build?

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                    X2

What are your needs/intentions for this rifle?

I'm a 6.5 guy. I have zero problem with recoil but see no need for it unless I need a heavy round; in which case I'm going to my 300wm. Short of that, the light recoil of the 6.5 family makes target shooting a lot more fun. Plus, there's a reason why 6.5 dominates the long range shooting world; particularly the practical shooting competition world. If you're looking to rebuild your .270 it sure sounds like you're in the market for something OTHER than another .270.

Besides the 6.5CM & .260 Remington, I'd look at the 6.5x47 Lapua and the 6.5x284. Other than the Creedmoor, all three of those are available in Lapua brass, if you're a reloader.

It really comes down to what YOU want in a rifle and what you need it to do. Good luck with your choice - there are some great caliber a mentioned. Really, you're not going to go "wrong" with any of them.

I am just wanting something different I'm looking for a hunting rifle that would be good at medium and long range. Something fun that me and my wife and son would like to shoot. I've always heard good things about the 260 and 7-08 was just curious as to what y'all thought would be a good build. I'm getting into reloading now trying to learn all I can and slowly buying equipment.
                    Last edited by Arrow Slinger88; 01-26-2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't waste a good long action receiver on a 260 although it's my favorite caliber that uses the 308 parent case.

6.5-284 is what I would do.

Comment

Working...
                      X