Neck Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neck Shots

I've seen plenty of talk (and pics) lately about neck shots. I've never taken one. Always a body shot - bow, slug or rifle. But I have lost a lot of meat over the years from some of those shots - especially with the slug.

Probably will get a chance or two (crossing my fingers) to rifle hunt this year, and I'm considering a neck shot. But I don't know exactly where I should be aiming for such a shot. Any advise would be appreciated.

Doesn't matter buck or doe - I've never shot a buck in my life, and generally never get a chance. Plus my wife just won't let me hang antlers in the house, so they would end up in the man cave anyway. And... since you can't eat antlers, I'm much more concerned about saving meat over messing up a potential mount.

All the best,
    Glenn
    Last edited by cajuntec; 11-04-2014, 06:09 PM.

halfway between the head and the front shoulder is good. ive never shot one in the neck yet but will on a cull or doe during thanksgiving, but i may put the bullet where the shoulder and the neck meet. either way, its gonna drop right there.

Comment

I like to shoot them a couple inches back from front edge of the front shoulder, right where the neck meets the body. They are normally DRT.

Comment

And it doesn't mess up as much meat as you would think.

Comment

Center of neck to sever neck bone. They drop in there tracks. Sould be able to find bone structure examples on web.

Highly suggest a ballistic tip like Hornady SST so it blows out the neck back side and does not just go right through neck like a solid bullet might. Have had 100% success with this shot selection using both 22-250 55gr and 30-06 165gr.

Other tip is to make sure head is up and not down eating. Full extension.

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
            Center of neck to sever neck bone. They drop in there tracks.

Ditto. I haven't shot a rifle in a LONG time, but last year I was put on doe duty at a friend's ranch. I dropped 3 in their tracks with this shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
              Center of neck to sever neck bone. They drop in there tracks. Sould be able to find bone structure examples on web.

Highly suggest a ballistic tip like Hornady SST so it blows out the neck back side and does not just go right through neck like a solid bullet might. Have had 100% success with this shot selection using both 22-250 55gr and 30-06 165gr.

I shoot almost all my deer (at reasonable distances) in the neck with Barnes or Accubonds and have never had a deer take a step after impact. Granted, I have never attempted the same with a non-bonded bullet, and I will not, but shot placement is key.

Comment

Awesome Mary what caliber?

Comment

Originally posted by Putemdown View Post
                  Awesome Mary what caliber?
                  I used a gun they had there at the ranch.....223. Not a big caliber at all.....but was enough to do the job. It's all about the placement.

Three hunts and 3 does. "ALMOST" made me question why I bowhunt....LOL

Comment

I've shot several in neck with 223 always gets it done

Comment

Neck Shots

Last edited by PineyWoodsBow; 11-04-2014, 08:08 PM.

Comment

^^^^ that's not what we're talking about here. Yikes!

Comment

Oops just reread the op. Nevermind

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                            I shot this doe at 40 yards, she dropped instantly and expired in about 2 minutes. It was risky but she was calm and I was far enough that I knew she wouldn't hear the release

The first deer I ever shot with a bow was similar to that. I definitely didn't do it on purpose. Looked like Freddy Kruger had taken her out.

Comment

wow

Comment

Working...
                              X