Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legality question on laser engraving firearms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I know: Don't mess with/alter factory engravings, serial numbers etc. There is a .003" depth requirement that applies to serial numbers. And also A 1/16" character height requirement,

What I don't know: Can I do custom laser engraving anywhere else on a lower or part of any gun that I want to? Does it have to meet the depth/character height requirements? Can I do work for friends? I have a laser engraver available to use at work and it has me thinking about doing something on my lower. I have also had friends inquire about the same.
    Thanks,

I dont see why not as long as you dont alter the factory markings. mainly SN#

Comment

the requirement is only for legal markings, and should not have any bearing on customization

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
        I dont see why not as long as you dont alter the factory markings. mainly SN#
        Agreed

Comment

Is caliber considered a legal marking? If you re-barrel are you required to engrave the caliber on the new barrel?

Comment

the barrel should be marked

Comment

Originally posted by treestand View Post
              Is caliber considered a legal marking? If you re-barrel are you required to engrave the caliber on the new barrel?
              nope I know a couple people that don't have theirs marked all thought its highly recommended obviously.

Comment

One thing that it also held to the depth and height requirements are the name, city and state markings you are required to put on the lower when you build and register a SBR.

The manufactures information, logo, and any markings on the gun from the factory can not be altered in anyway. These are identifiers of the rifle when the rifles are initially introduced into the market. Added "artwork" does not meet the same requirements for character size and depth except as stated above.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                  the barrel should be marked

Depends. Custom barrels are usually only marked on the tenon which is usually chopped off and discarded.

Factory barrels such as an AR barrel are typically marked.

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                  nope I know a couple people that don't have theirs marked all thought its highly recommended obviously.

There is no requirement to mark the caliber on the receiver. Noveske for example does not mark their receivers with any sort of a caliber marking.

Comment

I think you will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      There is no requirement to mark the caliber on the receiver. Noveske for example does not mark their receivers with any sort of a caliber marking.
                      Doesn't Noveske mark their receivers with "multi cal". When making a SBR I know the NFA is hit or miss on putting multi cal on the form 1.

Comment

Thanks y'all.
                        I am thinking engraving artwork only. Getting into SBR's and such is a whole other can-o-worms.

Comment

Keep in mind u need an FFL to make any modifications to a firearm, lowers are considered the firearm. Unless the person stays with the firearm while u do the work. Same ruling that applies to the cerakote guys.

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
                            Keep in mind u need an FFL to make any modifications to a firearm, lowers are considered the firearm. Unless the person stays with the firearm while u do the work. Same ruling that applies to the cerakote guys.
                            That was my interpretation of what I read online.

Comment

Working...
                            X