Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington 1100 questions

I ran across a nice 1100 recently. One I had never seen

It was a 12g magnum receiver, with a 24" vent rib barrel and I know it had something to do with "steel" stamped it and it had screw in chokes...

I did a little googleing and couldnt find anything like this...?

Have you ever seen this? What will the 24" barrel do to the pattern? The swing of the gun? "Steel" barrel?

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
    I ran across a nice 1100 recently. One I had never seen

It was a 12g magnum receiver, with a 24" vent rib barrel and I know it had something to do with "steel" stamped it and it had screw in chokes...

I did a little googleing and couldnt find anything like this...?

Have you ever seen this? What will the 24" barrel do to the pattern? The swing of the gun? "Steel" barrel?
    Bump

Comment

was it an original factory Rem 1100 barrel ? should have been stamped Ilion, NY

any pictures ? several things come to mind:

- original factory barrel may have been shortened and re-choked
      - may have been an aftermarket barrel. i.e. Hastings makes lots of Rem 1100 barrels
      - shorter 24" barrel possibly used for turkey , deer , or personal defense shotgun
      - shorter barrel will be LOUD , and not advisable to hunt in duck blind with others
      - shorter barrel won't necessarily affect pattern, that can be controlled by constriction of chokes

Comment

I had a benelli nova in 3.5 with 24" barrel great for wooded area duck hunts and close geese

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          was it an original factory Rem 1100 barrel ? should have been stamped Ilion, NY

any pictures ? several things come to mind:

- original factory barrel may have been shortened and re-choked
          - may have been an aftermarket barrel. i.e. Hastings makes lots of Rem 1100 barrels
          - shorter 24" barrel possibly used for turkey , deer , or personal defense shotgun
          - shorter barrel will be LOUD , and not advisable to hunt in duck blind with others
          - shorter barrel won't necessarily affect pattern, that can be controlled by constriction of chokes
          Thanks. I'll have to go back and look a little more. And remember what I see...

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
            Thanks. I'll have to go back and look a little more. And remember what I see...
            cell phone camera is your friend

Comment

The original steel barrels had a single smaller gas port iirc. Later on in life (guessing yours is later as its vent rib) and maybe the originals they were marked they didn't want you shooting 3" lead because the gas system wouldn't handle the extra payload. I believe you could just swap the steel barrels over and shoot 3" as the ejector stud (think that's what it was called) was moved further back. This would be before the magnum which I believe is good for both.

That's just off the top of my head though don't take its as completely factual

Edit: just saw it was a magnum receiver whoops. Anyway in addition to all that rambling the steel barrels were thicker in the chamber and other places. Lots of (I don't really know how many) older shotgun barrels weren't rated for steel as it is harder and could damage the thinner barrels (whether that's true or not idk)
              Last edited by TexMax; 08-27-2014, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X