No announcement yet.

forming and reloading 300blk from LC brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I WAS going to chrono the rounds I made up but the gun range I usually go to is closed today. I called clear creek gun range and asked the "lady" that answered if I could set up the chrono. Se says yea "as long as you don't take forever" in a very rude manner.

I guess I'll wait, I've never been to clear creek but have heard many stories how they're rude and have crappy attitudes towards customers. I'll update when I make more progress.

Comment

Made it to the range today to chrono and try and group the new rounds. Here is the data that I came up with. I only chrono'd 10 rds. 3 were factory and 7 were mine. All of these were shot with a Remmy 700 aac-sd 16" with a 1/7 Twist. After the chrono I only shot 2 groups @ 50 yds, it was too windy to jump to 100 with subs. Wind was north-northeast and i was facing north so the groups were a lil low and to the left from my normal zero.

Factory 208grain A-Max

1. 1018 fps
      2. 899 fps
      3. 930 fps
      Avg=949

My Reloads with once shot converted LC brass, 7.8grains Lil gun, wsr primer, 208 grain A-max. COL 2.200

1. 942 fps
      2. 955 fps
      3. 964 fps
      Avg= 953

My Reloads with once shot converted LC brass, 7.4grains Lil gun, wsr primer, 208 grain A-max. COL 2.200

1. 874 fps
      2. 887 fps
      3. 853 fps
      Avg 871

My Reloads with once shot converted LC brass, 7.0grains Lil gun, wsr primer, 208 grain A-max. COL 2.200

1. 776fps (too slow and decided not to shoot these)
      Attached Files

Comment

^^^ very nice work brother

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          ^^^ very nice work brother
          Thanks! It's been quite some work but I enjoyed it. I'm thinking of loading 8.0grains and getting some #s but man 7.8 is very consistent. Opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
            Thanks! It's been quite some work but I enjoyed it. I'm thinking of loading 8.0grains and getting some #s but man 7.8 is very consistent. Opinions?

shoot a. 8.0 gr 5 shot group over the chrono and check for consistency and accuracy

your ideal load may be 7.8 grs

how quiet is the shot w/out a can ? .... post up an iphone video

M16 did some 300BO (Whisper) load work with 240 gr Sierra MK's and previously posted this video below
            it is Hollywood quiet - zero noise

click on picture for video

Comment

I'd definitely try some with 8 grains...should put you just under the sonic threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                shoot a. 8.0 gr 5 shot group over the chrono and check for consistency and accuracy

your ideal load may be 7.8 grs

how quiet is the shot w/out a can ? .... post up an iphone video

M16 did some 300BO (Whisper) load work with 240 gr Sierra MK's and previously posted this video below
                it is Hollywood quiet - zero noise

click on picture for video

It's VERY quiet but I had earplugs on (public range) and almost nothing with the can on. You can hear the primer and a poof that's about it. I tried shooting in between shots so I can better guage but it was pretty difficult.

Comment

Those results are pretty awesome brother, thanks for posting. Know where I'll be starting haha

Comment

It's VERY quiet but I had earplugs on (public range) and almost nothing with the can on. You can hear the primer and a poof that's about it. I tried shooting in between shots so I can better guage but it was pretty difficult.
                    What gun do you have there Jaime?? It has a good tube...I can't really get into the subs on this SBR. The bolt slap kinda kills the joy. I'm sticking with the supersonics through hunting season.

H-D had a vid of the AR vs single shot on his phone & I think it's the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      What gun do you have there Jaime?? It has a good tube...I can't really get into the subs on this SBR. The bolt slap kinda kills the joy. I'm sticking with the supersonics through hunting season.

H-D had a vid of the AR vs single shot on his phone & I think it's the way to go.
                      Im using an off the shelf Remington 700 aac-sd. On another note looky what Fed-Ex just dropped off. These are definitely a different creature.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Those look like a lot of fun

Comment

Those designed to open up at the sub velocity?? Good gosh they LOOK expensive!!

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                            Those look like a lot of fun
                            Yes I sure hope so!

Those designed to open up at the sub velocity?? Good gosh they LOOK expensive!!
                            Yep they are designed to open up @ sub velocity. I was gonna make some knox gel and do some ballistic testing, maybe even make a gel form with a shoulder bone in it but I think ill just try and shoot a hog at my buddies place thats pretty close by. Theyre 0.90 per bullet and less that 1.00 loaded of course that includes my time loading and reused brass.

Comment

The results of your kills would be greatly appreciated...I can now see another LaRue / Scope combo to keep both sighted in.

I have only messed with Sierra match 220's on the subs...sorry for the crappy pic. Scope is a Z6 2-12 & doesn't lend itself to dial, so I may just swap mounts & test return point of aim vs a whole new turn bolt. I have another mount & scope on hand.

Still, I'm not so convinced that subs are any more efficient on follow up shot on night time pigs...seems the bullet impact scares them off regardless. Still, might be worth trying.
                              Attached Files

Comment

The results of your kills would be greatly appreciated...I can now see another LaRue / Scope combo to keep both sighted in.

I have only messed with Sierra match 220's on the subs...sorry for the crappy pic. Scope is a Z6 2-12 & doesn't lend itself to dial, so I may just swap mounts & test return point of aim vs a whole new turn bolt. I have another mount & scope on hand.

Still, I'm not so convinced that subs are any more efficient on follow up shot on night time pigs...seems the bullet impact scares them off regardless. Still, might be worth trying.
                                Yea Ill definitely keep everyone updated on any kill data. Im with you on the follow up shots too. I think it only helps with not leaving too much of a sound footprint. Plus its pretty cool

My curiosity got the best of me and i went ahead and loaded some of the lehigh bullets. The spec calls for 1.955 but that kins seems too short.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X