Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PharmerJon View Post
    Back to the top with the NV hunting thread....

Was out for a while last night (with the FLIR and Photon XT) before a cold front moves through and the animals were out in full force. Managed this nice mixed bag. One badger wouldn’t come out of his hole after he died and I wasn’t that determined to get him out for his picture!

Happy hunting and Merry Christmas “other side of the Ranch” fellas!

-Jon
    Dang Jon, nice shooting! I regularly eat coon and coyote but I've never had badger, what's it taste like? And you know I'm not kidding!

- Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
      Dang Jon, nice shooting! I regularly eat coon and coyote but I've never had badger, what's it taste like? And you know I'm not kidding!

- Jason
      Ha. No idea. They stink like holy hell!

Comment

Originally posted by PharmerJon View Post
        Ha. No idea. They stink like holy hell!
        Ugh ok that doesn't sound good.

Comment

I've been thinking of setting one up on a crossbow to eliminate light spooking.

Comment

I have shot a few badgers (I know where one is now I need to go shoot), and Pharmer Jon is right. Those things stink. You have to remember they are in the Mustelidae family, which includes weasels, ferrets, otters, mink and wolverines. This family is known for scent glands that produce strong smelling secretions. Get that stuff on you and it doesn't wash off very good. Of course the same can be said of Javalinas (not the same family), and lots of folks eat them, so IDK?

I would be open to eating coon, coyote is in the no-go zone for me though. We have discussed that before Jason.

I've been really busy this fall, but think I am about to start hitting the night hunting. Time is getting right for it.

Comment

Y'all fools must be hungry.

Comment

Shot a bobcat this evening with my Ruger American Predator 204 topped with a Pulsar N750. Thanks Jason for selling me the light. That thing is awesome.
                Attached Files

Comment

Added another gadget to my NV hunting setup. I have till Jan 31 to decide whether it is worth the $$. Ive been tinkering with it in the yard but may not get to use it in the field before then. I Anyone use one? Pros/cons?

FLIR Scout TK

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Comment

I'll be honest I didn't read 48 pages of this thread.

I've got a friend who's in the market and looking at thermal at an entry price around 2 grand.

As I see it the options are:

PULSAR CORE RXQ30V
                    ARMASIGHT PREDATOR 336
                    FLIR THERMOSIGHT PRO PTS233

Is there a clear winner among them?
                    or
                    for the money would he be better off going with Gen 2 or 3 NV?

Realistically he won't shoot it past 150 yards on pigs and varmints.

Comment

Call Jason.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post

I've got a friend who's in the market and looking at thermal at an entry price around 2 grand.

PULSAR CORE RXQ30V
                        ARMASIGHT PREDATOR 336

or

Have him call me. Those might seem like simple questions but it's really a lot of get into via typing. Before he spends $2,000 he needs to talk to someone who has experience with all those scopes. Even if he calls another dealer and not me, he need to talk to someone who has used those scopes in the field.

Shortest answer possible......absolutely no Gen 2/Gen 3 unless he's got a darn good reason for it. I would highly, highly suggest staying away from it for rifle scope applications. I would say no to the Predators as well. The image quality is lacking and you are looking at 2 year old entry level scope and a whole lot has changed in those 2 years. Remember, FLIR bought Armasight and they just released the PTS233.....its basically a replacement for the Predator, so I see no reason to buy one right now. PTS233 vs the RXQ30V, does he want to record video or not? That will be the #1 determining factor.

- Jason
                        Outdoor Legacy Gear
                        (877)350-1818

Comment

Thanks Jason.
                          He’s decided to hold off for now. It sounds like price and quality are both improving at a good clip.

If he changes his mind I’ll have him give you a call.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post

PULSAR CORE RXQ30V
                            ARMASIGHT PREDATOR 336

or

I've got both the pulsar rxq30v and the flir pts233. They are both really good for the money but if I had to choose just one it would be the pulsar.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                              I've got both the pulsar rxq30v and the flir pts233. They are both really good for the money but if I had to choose just one it would be the pulsar.
                              Why the pulsar?

Comment

Originally posted by alien77721 View Post
                                Why the pulsar?
                                The image and I love the green background tint.

Comment

Working...
                                X