• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....ok

Comment

Photon for sale... (Not mine)

Comment

Great thread! I noticed it sounds like some of you who have access to pvs-14s/thermals are using the digital NV scopes on your rifles instead of trying to mount the pvs-14s behind a traditional scope or red dot.

Is that because the pvs-14s shine at finding targets and aren't great at quick attachment to your rifle in the field?

Or are the photons more effective overall than gen3 NV / thermal + traditional scopes when mounted on a rifle?

Or is there something else I'm missing?

I'm new to NV hunting and am trying to put together a .223 setup for hogs and varmints around my feeders. I'd like something that will be effective to 150 yds.

Comment

Love my photon but it doesn't compare to my other NV setup. Night and day difference. You can use the photon out to 150 yards but that's about the farthest imo. I hardly ever take shots over 100 at night though. I have never used the pvs14 but have heard some good things about them. Any questions on the photon pm Jason and he can tell you all your need to know. Great guy to deal with.

Comment

Don't think about comparing the $500 Photon to a $3000 Gen III unit. Think about comparing the Photon to other viable $500 alternatives.

Hear the crickets yet?

Comment

Thanks, that matches what I would have expected given the price difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
                I recently picked up a Sightmark Photon 3.5x digital scope.
                If you're the guy who snatched that TBH classifieds deal out from under me, congrats!
                Congrats either way, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
                  Git'er duuuunnn!

I feel like we didnt give that saying a good enough chance......git'er dun

Excellent customer service!

Comment

I am still putting my rig together - and it will change over time I am certain. I purchased a digital nv scope (X-sight) shortly the day before Christmas Eve (had been waiting for them to ship for months, lgs got some and sold all in first day). My first (and most of my experience) with it was from that night. When I turned it on day vision - it got a great picture. When I turned it on NV (outside) - nothing... Ok, once I figured out how to turn on the IR luminator - It worked fine, just like a day scope would if you had a flashlight attached (except it was b/w). I suspect I will see just as far as that flashlight throws - which was pretty good (Tested on my neighbors garage - about 70 yards and it looked great. It should be a great day/night scope.

Then I realized the problem, I would have to point my rifle at everything I wanted to see - that is kind of against every safety rule I have tried to teach. Because it had 5x magnification, it did not have a great FOV either. It will work fine as intended - a scope, but like any scope, you would not want to navigate (walk) with it. Second problem - that flashlight was going to eat batteries (and reviews of digital night vision pretty much say the same thing). Not something to turn on and leave on for hours.

I ordered a PSV-14 New Years Eve (full helmet rig). It arrived this week. I have gone outside a few times with it. 1x mag allows for a much better FOV. 1x makes navigation possible (pretty much like walking in the dark with a flashlight is possible). But the neat thing - it does not have the throw limits. It does a wonderful job amplifying existing light. Will try to take it to the ranch this weekend.

They are designed to do 2 different things - and while 1 can be forced to do the other, they can also really compliment each other.

FWIW, I highly suspect this addition will lead to thermal in short order. Likewise could easily lead to a second Image Intensifier (to hunt or hike with company).
                    Last edited by Mousehunter; 02-20-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      If you're the guy who snatched that TBH classifieds deal out from under me, congrats!
                      Congrats either way, actually.
                      Nope. Not my style. I picked mine up from Jason back when they came out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mousehunter View Post
                        I am still putting my rig together - and it will change over time I am certain. I purchased a digital nv scope (X-sight) shortly the day before Christmas Eve (had been waiting for them to ship for months, lgs got some and sold all in first day). My first (and most of my experience) with it was from that night. When I turned it on day vision - it got a great picture. When I turned it on NV (outside) - nothing... Ok, once I figured out how to turn on the IR luminator - It worked fine, just like a day scope would if you had a flashlight attached (except it was b/w). I suspect I will see just as far as that flashlight throws - which was pretty good (Tested on my neighbors garage - about 70 yards and it looked great. It should be a great day/night scope.

Then I realized the problem, I would have to point my rifle at everything I wanted to see - that is kind of against every safety rule I have tried to teach. Because it had 5x magnification, it did not have a great FOV either. It will work fine as intended - a scope, but like any scope, you would not want to navigate (walk) with it. Second problem - that flashlight was going to eat batteries (and reviews of digital night vision pretty much say the same thing). Not something to turn on and leave on for hours.

I ordered a PSV-14 New Years Eve (full helmet rig). It arrived this week. I have gone outside a few times with it. 1x mag allows for a much better FOV. 1x makes navigation possible (pretty much like walking in the dark with a flashlight is possible). But the neat thing - it does not have the throw limits. It does a wonderful job amplifying existing light. Will try to take it to the ranch this weekend.

They are designed to do 2 different things - and while 1 can be forced to do the other, they can also really compliment each other.

FWIW, I highly suspect this addition will lead to thermal in short order. Likewise could easily lead to a second Image Intensifier (to hunt or hike with company).

This is the absolute definition of "building a better mousetrap."

Comment

Has anyone else had an issue with their photon holding a zero? I'll be good for a few shots then it moves POI. And after every shot I have to refocus the front focus knob because it will lose focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                            Has anyone else had an issue with their photon holding a zero? I'll be good for a few shots then it moves POI. And after every shot I have to refocus the front focus knob because it will lose focus.
                            No. I was having problems with it going off.. like turning off with the recoil.. i had the battery compartment closed all the way so I was scratching my head. Turned the battery compartment lid to the middle (like halfwayclosed) and never had the same problem.

Comment

Hmmm I'll pull and put fresh batteries in and try closing half way?? See if it does anything

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                                Hmmm I'll pull and put fresh batteries in and try closing half way?? See if it does anything
                                Ya the top of the battery compartment sits on crooked when you tighten the knob all the way. When it's halfway the top sets level allowing for full contact through recoil.

It's the only thing I've been less than pleased with. But I'm working around it so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X