Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picatinny QD

It's more than likely to high. My only thoughts...

Comment

Originally posted by AddisonOil View Post
      Anyone had trouble zeroing their photon? I understand that the screen moves and not the actual crosshairs.

If I sight it in with my rifle, it moves the screen so far down and left that I can barely see it. Am I doing something wrong here?
      That's a new one to me. If I'm understanding this correctly, then you might have a problem with you Photon and I'd suggest giving Sightmark a call. From the pic it looks like you are a using one of the original 3.5x or 5x Photons. It is still under warranty, so I'd give them a call and see what they say. That mount looks just about right. It's only slightly higher than the standard Sightmark QD mounts. They are 3/4" high it looks like you might have a 1" high mount.

Comment

Lookie what UPS delivered! A brand spanking new Pulsar Apex XD50A thermal rifle scope. This thing is awesome! I mentioned them on here while I was at the SHOT Show and got to handle a demo there I thought it was great. However, now getting to use it in the outdoors and at night, it blew me away. The quality is great and with a price of $3,199 I suspect it's going to shake up the market. 384x288 LCD, 2x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom for a total of 8x total zoom.

I'm working on getting some video out of it and when I do I'll post it up.

- Jason
        Attached Files

Comment

Sign me up Jason!

Comment

Hey jason, i sent u a pm. Also need to know about mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
              Lookie what UPS delivered! A brand spanking new Pulsar Apex XD50A thermal rifle scope. This thing is awesome! I mentioned them on here while I was at the SHOT Show and got to handle a demo there I thought it was great. However, now getting to use it in the outdoors and at night, it blew me away. The quality is great and with a price of $3,199 I suspect it's going to shake up the market. 384x288 LCD, 2x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom for a total of 8x total zoom.

I'm working on getting some video out of it and when I do I'll post it up.

- Jason

Does it have a built in QD?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                Sign me up Jason!
                I'll be glad too!

Originally posted by tef View Post
                Hey jason, i sent u a pm. Also need to know about mounts.
                Thanks for the heads up. I just sent you a reply.

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
                Does it have a built in QD?
                It has a detachable mount but it's not QD. Here it is......
                Attached Files

Comment

It has a detachable mount but it's not QD. Here it is......

I wonder how well it would hold zero if removed and attached several times.

Comment

I wonder how well it would hold zero if removed and attached several times.
                    My gut reaction is that it should hold zero exactly like a QD mount does but without testing I'd hate to say for sure. Being so new and the fact that the just started shipping a handful of these in the last 2-3 weeks, I doubt it's been tried much yet. If it would ever quit raining here I'd go sight it in and test it myself and report back. Expecting another 3"+ in the next 24 hours so that's not looking good.

Comment

My gut reaction is that it should hold zero exactly like a QD mount does but without testing I'd hate to say for sure. Being so new and the fact that the just started shipping a handful of these in the last 2-3 weeks, I doubt it's been tried much yet. If it would ever quit raining here I'd go sight it in and test it myself and report back. Expecting another 3"+ in the next 24 hours so that's not looking good.

I don't know what I'm more jealous about. The thermal or the rain! We're hurting for it in Wichita Falls.

Comment

I don't know what I'm more jealous about. The thermal or the rain! We're hurting for it in Wichita Falls.
                        Really? Man we've had about 5" this week and at least that much or more over the previous couple weeks. It rains nearly every day here. I was hoping the whole state was getting it.

Comment

Really? Man we've had about 5" this week and at least that much or more over the previous couple weeks. It rains nearly every day here. I was hoping the whole state was getting it.

We got some but we need a steady 10" rain to get is close to what we need probably lol.
                          I'm looking forward to some video of this pulsar

Comment

For those of you hog hunting with the Photon from a stand over a feeder/bait, do you sit there with the scope/IR powered up the whole time scanning through the scope? I have just started hunting with the Photon and am trying to figure out the best way to approach it since the Photon is the only piece of night-vision equipment that I have. I would like to hear your advice/techniques that work for you. Thanks.

Comment

You shooting that pig extremely close? Seems like you were using a hold over.. or under in that case?

Originally posted by wade _s View Post
                              For those of you hog hunting with the Photon from a stand over a feeder/bait, do you sit there with the scope/IR powered up the whole time scanning through the scope? I have just started hunting with the Photon and am trying to figure out the best way to approach it since the Photon is the only piece of night-vision equipment that I have. I would like to hear your advice/techniques that work for you. Thanks.
                              I've been hunting pigs over a feeder for decades now. I've always done it the same way. i set quietly, sometimes asleep , and listen. I also use a pair of 10x50 nikon binocs and most of the time as long as I let my eyes adjust i can see well enough to notice new black spots around the feeder (at a feeder you have the added benefit to be able to memorize the terrain). Lone pigs come in very quietly. a Group of hogs under a feeder will wake you up they're so loud. but a pig eats corn...well "like a pig" its loud and very distinctive. listen for that noise.

One thing i do to pass the time is play on my phone. Get you a real good filter that darkens out your phone screen or its going to blind you even on the lowest dimmer setting your phone can be set to from the factory. (I use "screen filter" for my android and usually set it from 27-17%.

Now that I have my photon I realize that sucker will blind you at night too. ITS WAYYY BRIGHT at night. So I dont scan with it. I just use my ears and the same ole way Ive been doing it for years scanning with a good pair of big objective binocs.

Comment

I'm currently waiting for my 3rd sbr to put my photon on.. i just need to go pick it up from jake.. it's ready. Lol

I currently have my photon on a HEAVY 16" AR that I can't bring myself to tote around since my other SBR's have really spoiled me.

In the mean time I've gone back to the old red light and same way as described above with a tiny Lil killer:

You could say setting over a feeder is my bread and butter. Remember you can be as comfortable as you plan to be. The longer you set the higher your odds go up of seeing crits. Bring snacks, drinks, a heater, blanket, cold beer, "p" jug, etc. . If you plan for all night sets a big blind with a bed comes in handy as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X