No announcement yet.

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just out for like dealers and review/testing? Or are they just really behind on orders?

Comment

Kinda both. I heard there are only 50-80 in the US right now, and every single one was snapped up in preorder before hitting the shelves.

Better get on Jason's back order list.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
        You bring up a good point.. but have any info to back that up?

I saw the guy up there shoot it with a 243... Im thinking about slapping it on a 300 BLK... Anybody have any problems with theirs?

Jason any info on recoil restrictions?
        was wondering the same thing....guess I should have asked that

Comment

Chris got his SBR setup. 300 blackout, AAC SDN6, PVS14, Eotech EXPS.

Mine is a 16" 5.56 build with Insight MTM thermal.

Comment

Eco, is that the SF M952V on the SBR, and if so, how does he like it?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
              Eco, is that the SF M952V on the SBR, and if so, how does he like it?
              Yes it is. We each have one. They are a great light good out to a couple hundred yards. The other light in the pic is the newer 600V. They are so close you could not tell a difference beam wise. The 600V wins only because it weighs less and has a smaller profile.

I will be picking up a TNVC Torch in the near future. They are the same cost as the surefire but give more light and adjustable beam.
              Last edited by Ecoboost; 10-02-2014, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecoboost View Post
                Yes it is. We each have one. They are a great light good out to a couple hundred yards. The other light in the pic is the newer 600V. They are so close you could not tell a difference beam wise. The 600V wins only because it weighs less and has a smaller profile.

I will be picking up a TNVC Torch in the near future. They are the same cost as the surefire but give more light and adjustable beam.

Have you compared these to the UNV 20IR?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                  Have you compared these to the UNV 20IR?
                  I have not. The reason I'm leaning towards the Torch is because it uses Surefire threads and parts can be swapped. It also uses a PVS14 3x magnifier threaded into the head to really reach out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                    You bring up a good point.. but have any info to back that up?

I saw the guy up there shoot it with a 243... Im thinking about slapping it on a 300 BLK... Anybody have any problems with theirs?

Jason any info on recoil restrictions?
                    I've got a call into Sightmark to find out. The original Photon was supposed to be good up to a .308, if memory serves me correctly. I'll report back.

Originally posted by MicahM View Post
                    Have the photon xt 4.6 not been released yet or something? I cannot find them in stock any were
                    Correct. Only a few demo units were released to dealers a few weeks go. I managed to get my hands on 2 and Husker was first on the pre-order list, so I filled his order with my spare. Sightmark is still being pretty quiet about the exact release date and when their next shipment will arrive but if their original projected date holds true, the first XT's should be coming off backorder within the next couple weeks.

The backorders for these units is crazy, so be wary of any dealer promising when they will have any in stock. Also, Sightmark will not tell us how many units we get shipped off our backorder until they are ready to box and ship them, so no one knows for sure how many to expect.

Originally posted by Ecoboost View Post
                    Chris got his SBR setup. 300 blackout, AAC SDN6, PVS14, Eotech EXPS.

Mine is a 16" 5.56 build with Insight MTM thermal.

Ecoboost, those are both awesome setups!!

Comment

Hey guys I put together a hands on review of the new Sightmark Photon XT. I've also already shot the video of the nighttime testing on hog silhouettes. I've just got to edit the video, which seems to take me forever.lol

Also, one thing I didn't mention in the video is the eye relief adjustment and the focus ring on the front of the Photon. I should have mentioned the focus ring because it's not something most people are used to on a rifle scope but I totally forgot about it. Hope the video is helpful to folks unfamiliar with the Photons.

- Jason

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                      I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
                      Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 10-03-2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                        Hey guys I put together a hands on review of the new Sightmark Photon XT. I've also already shot the video of the nighttime testing on hog silhouettes. I've just got to edit the video, which seems to take me forever.lol

Also, one thing I didn't mention in the video is the eye relief adjustment and the focus ring on the front of the Photon. I should have mentioned the focus ring because it's not something most people are used to on a rifle scope but I totally forgot about it. Hope the video is helpful to folks unfamiliar with the Photons.

- Jason

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                        I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
                        Great info and video! I'm really thinking about picking one up for something to play around with.

Comment

I'm considering making a bolt action 300 blackout (full subsonic and integrated suppressor) that has a 16 inch barrel. Nightvision scope as well, any suggestions? I'm not really sure where to start.

Comment

Originally posted by ElGatoBandito View Post
                            I'm considering making a bolt action 300 blackout (full subsonic and integrated suppressor) that has a 16 inch barrel. Nightvision scope as well, any suggestions? I'm not really sure where to start.
                            IMO if this is going to be your primary hog, night varmint gun I would not get bolt action or intergrally suppressed. here is why, with bolt action it is tough to make quality follow up shots especially at night. as far as intergrally suppressed here is why I wouldn't choose that, simply because if you get a screw on or QD style suppressor you can use it on multiple weapons (depending on the cans limitations obviously). to me that's more bang for your buck right there.

good luck with the build and hope you end up with what you wanted!

Comment

Jason you really knocked it out of the park with that video. Thanks so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
                                IMO if this is going to be your primary hog, night varmint gun I would not get bolt action or intergrally suppressed. here is why, with bolt action it is tough to make quality follow up shots especially at night. as far as intergrally suppressed here is why I wouldn't choose that, simply because if you get a screw on or QD style suppressor you can use it on multiple weapons (depending on the cans limitations obviously). to me that's more bang for your buck right there.

good luck with the build and hope you end up with what you wanted!
                                I'm really sold on the bolt gun portion. I understand your purpose behind having a separate suppressor, however it seems to me that I would rather have 1 special form with the ATF for now. In a couple years I will probably pick up a suppressor capable of shooting a .338 lapua mag, with interchangeable front plates so that it will better suppress a variety of cartridges. However right now, I have no firearms that I want to suppress... At all.

I was wondering about who I should get ahold of for buying/building this rifle. Any suggestions as to options that I should look into... that sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X