Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jason,

I just got a Photon 3.5 from you a few months ago. Do you think the new XT shows enough improvement to warrant upgrading? I am particularly interested in what you said about the daytime capabilities improvement. You also mentioned the adjustable IR, would the XT still benefit from an external IR?

Thanks,
    Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by PharmerJon View Post
      What's the length available for mounting the Photon 4.6?
      Do any commercial 1-piece AR type mounts (30mm) fit in this length or do you have to use 2 separate rings?
      Thanks
      The Leupold Mark 2 IMS Integral Mounting System Matte, 30mm didn't fit the first one... not sure about the tube length on this newer one.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        Jason,

I just got a Photon 3.5 from you a few months ago. Do you think the new XT shows enough improvement to warrant upgrading? I am particularly interested in what you said about the daytime capabilities improvement. You also mentioned the adjustable IR, would the XT still benefit from an external IR?

Thanks,
        Phillip
        Phillip,

Excellent questions. I did some day and night testing this weekend in preparation to do a video review of the new XT. What I'm seeing right now is that the higher resolution of the XT gives a clearer, crisper video image and it seems to have must less visible digital noise/grain. I really like the adjustable IR and the internal digital reticles. In my tests it was very clear that the 20IR is still a HUGE upgrade to the built-in IR. While I was happy with the built-in IR performance, when I flipped on the 20IR it was still like flipping on a Q-Beam. Those of you that have the 20IR know what I'm talking about.

Let me do some more testing and side by side comparisons and I'll report back with more info.

- Jason

Comment

Jason,

What's the length available on the tube for mounting the Photon 4.6x XT demo you have?
          Thanks!

Comment

I didn't get to play around with my 4.6 XT like I had hoped to this last weekend.
            The day time view was very clear as long as you don't have the sun in front of you. The video gets whited out pretty well if sun is in front of you. Night time this last weeked with little to no ambient I could see probably 50yds maybe more without the IR. Turning on the IR at the highest level I'm estimating 150yd is probably the useable distance for a shot. These are estimates as I didn't range anything. The picture was definately clearer and brighter than the example 3.5x with doubler comparison images in post #351.

I'm very happy with the scope and everyone that looked through it was impressed with it and doubly impressed when I told them the cost.

I have to get different rings than the sitemark QD ones I got from Jason though. They are way to low on my AR which I didn't think about that when I ordered it.

Comment

Hustler can we see a pic or two?

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                Phillip,

Excellent questions. I did some day and night testing this weekend in preparation to do a video review of the new XT. What I'm seeing right now is that the higher resolution of the XT gives a clearer, crisper video image and it seems to have must less visible digital noise/grain. I really like the adjustable IR and the internal digital reticles.
                - Jason
                While the XT does have a better screen resolution, the XT's cmos camera resolution @ 656x492 is still lower than the 3.5X's 768x576. But the XT has a screen double the size 640x480 vs 300x225 which is why it looks better. Everything looks better on a widescreen! I haven't been able to find anything on the cmos camera size, if it is a 1/3 like the 3.5X or 1/4 like the 5X. Have you read or seen it anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                  HusKer can we see a pic or two?
                  I didn't take any in the field. If I can find time, I'll see if I can find a dark area near home one of these nights to hook up a monitor and try to snap some...

Comment

Now that you have a 4.6 in your possession, is there any decent one piece mount that will fit it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
                      Now that you have a 4.6 in your possession, is there any decent one piece mount that will fit it?

Thanks
                      This appears to be the million dollar question!

Comment

Does anyone know why Sightmark uses a cmos sensor rather than ccd which is widely accepted as having more low light capablility and a clearer image? Serious question. I was a bit surprised to learn this.

Comment

Ok, I'm going to try and answer a few more questions, if I've missed anything please let me know.

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                          Jason,

Thanks,
                          Phillip
                          Phillip,

I don't like telling someone how to spend their money and I'm also not the type of person who goes out and buys a new product every time a new model is released. I always figure if I was happy before the new model came out, I should still be happy with it after a new model is released. I'm not a very good salesman I know.

After more testing the last 3 nights my answer is this. The XT is over all a better optic. It's clearer, brighter, easier to focus, the rubber eye piece is a nice upgrade, the internal digital reticles are great, it's lighter and I believe the range is better. All those things are important but they are all minor improvements in each category. It really just comes down to spending money. If you can get rid of the original Photon and not lose too much money, yes, I think the XT is a nice upgrade. For the people on a tighter budget, keep the original Photon. A month ago it was the highest quality and most affordable digital night vision rifle scope ever released. It's still pretty darn awesome today. That's still not a good answer I know.

Originally posted by PharmerJon View Post
                          Jason,

What's the length available on the tube for mounting the Photon 4.6x XT demo you have?
                          Thanks!
                          By my rough measurements there is about 4 11/16" of tube for mounting.

Originally posted by djc View Post

Thanks
                          I can't answer what other mounts will work but the Sightmark CJRK one piece will not fit properly. I can force it and will all most fit but it's a little too small. The CJRK really needs 4 12/16"+ clearance to fit properly. As much as I want that mount to fit, the two piece bases are super easy and quick to take off and on and they look really nice, so I guess its not the end of the world.

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                          While the XT does have a better screen resolution, the XT's cmos camera resolution @ 656x492 is still lower than the 3.5X's 768x576. But the XT has a screen double the size 640x480 vs 300x225 which is why it looks better. Everything looks better on a widescreen! I haven't been able to find anything on the cmos camera size, if it is a 1/3 like the 3.5X or 1/4 like the 5X. Have you read or seen it anywhere?
                          I'm choosing my words carefully here..... Sightmark is saying they haven't officially released any specs on the XT's and any info available isn't official or necessarily accurate. I have previous verbal and written email confirmation by Sightmark that the specs I posted are accurate and official and they were given to me by Sightmark. At this point the official answer is "wait and see soon".

Originally posted by miket View Post
                          Does anyone know why Sightmark uses a cmos sensor rather than ccd which is widely accepted as having more low light capablility and a clearer image? Serious question. I was a bit surprised to learn this.
                          The specs I was previously given show the XT uses a CMOS sensor.

I hope that info helps!

Comment

Here is a LDP with a smallish hog I killed in the daylight with the Photon XT last week. Oh and my 4 year old daughter had to get in on the photo op too!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great pic

Comment

Thanks for the updates, Jason.

+1 on the Great Pic!

Comment

Working...
                                X