Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
    Thermal or Gen 2 for weapons mounted hunting optics? At the risk of ticking off the few guys still out there using Gen 2 and Gen 3......thermal wins that battle almost every single time. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the Gen 2/3 stuff and it has a few benefits but thermal has a LOT more benefits, including bang for your buck.

I have resisted saying this in this thread or publicly for a very very long time but I'm going to go ahead and do it because there is enough evidence that it can no longer be denied. Here goes....for hunting purposes, Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 are going completely away. They are on the way out the door already and the party is over for those optics. The consumers have spoken and digital NV and thermal won the contest.

Again, this isn't a slam against someone who owns a Gen scope. If it works for you and you like it, that's super, don't change a thing. But as an NV dealer, I can't in good conscience tell anyone to buy Gen 2/3 except in very very rare circumstances. For the millitary/LEO market, Gen NV will stick around for a while but even there the change over to thermal is being slowly seen.

My 2 cents!

Jason

Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
      Just added an Apex xq50 to the arsenal from Jason at Outdoors Legacy. I have been behind a $5k 640 resolution Armasight before, so I had tempered my expectations.

All I can saw is WOW. The image is so sharp and clear its unbelievable. The crosshairs were nice and fine, with plenty to choose from. Battery life seems good so far. I still cant get over the clarity (granted it was a nice cool dry night). The detail you could see was awesome. Even far away. Seeing it in person is soo much better than a youtube or even watching a recorded video stream. This was also the first "screen" type optic that was easy on my eyes (have a Photon from Jason as well).

Can't wait to get it sighted in.

If anyone is on the fence about one of these....try to look through one in person...it will seal the deal.
      Every day, I'm one day closer to getting my Trail XQ38. Just waiting for that call from Jason...

Comment

Ordered myself the new Photon RT 4.5x42 Friday, upgrading from the XT 4.6x42S. All that were available were the 950nm models at an extra $50, but I used the sale Ebay had and got $105 off so it only cost $495 and no tax or shipping. Supposed to arrive tomorrow, hopefully early enough for me to get it to the range and get sighted in and maybe squeeze in a hunt tomorrow night, we'll see. I'm excited to test out the doubler, the internal video, and the external power supply options which were my main reasons for purchasing it, of course the better resolution will be nice too I think. For anyone trying to get in the game cheap, I have my old XT listed in the classifieds.

Comment

I just got back from a trip to the Georgia piney woods after pigs. Carrying my AR with my new Apex thermal mounted up. All I can say is WOW!! Thanks Jason. This thing blows the Photon XT out of the water completely. No pigs showed up, but anything else that showed was visible. Even the mice at 60 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
            Every day, I'm one day closer to getting my Trail XQ38. Just waiting for that call from Jason...
            I know it's been a long wait! Stick with me.....just waiting on Pulsar. Good news is I have a shipment heading my way, so you are slowly moving up the list.

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
            I just got back from a trip to the Georgia piney woods after pigs. Carrying my AR with my new Apex thermal mounted up. All I can say is WOW!! Thanks Jason. This thing blows the Photon XT out of the water completely. No pigs showed up, but anything else that showed was visible. Even the mice at 60 yards.
            Thanks Geezer! Glad you are enjoying it.

- Jason

Comment

I know it's been a long wait! Stick with me.....just waiting on Pulsar. Good news is I have a shipment heading my way, so you are slowly moving up the list.

- Jason

No problem. I have the Photon to fill the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

3 Hogs Get Close To My Yard Again.. Instant Death Penalty

My yard is looking alot better since it was wiped out over a month ago but group of hogs. It's taken alot of work and time but it doesn't look like a big ol' pile of crap anymore... just a small pile... Haha. Still dropping hogs close the the house though. Laid down 3 more in the video for dirt naps... Check out the yard before and after!

https://youtu.be/kXjLlrDv1JQ

Comment

- Jason

Patience, patience.... Ooohmmm... Ooohmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by HansETX View Post
                    My yard is looking alot better since it was wiped out over a month ago but group of hogs. It's taken alot of work and time but it doesn't look like a big ol' pile of crap anymore... just a small pile... Haha. Still dropping hogs close the the house though. Laid down 3 more in the video for dirt naps... Check out the yard before and after!

I’ve got sections of hay fields looking like the face of the moon quadruple that area

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                      Patience, patience.... Ooohmmm... Ooohmmm...
                      Well the good news is you moved up 1 spot in the line yesterday and if this guy backs out, which he might, you will move up 2 places! Keep the patience up.

- Jason

Comment

Originally posted by HansETX View Post

Man you yard it looking a whole lot better. When my mom's yard got hit in the fall it was a big pain fixing it and she didn't have near the square footage affected that you did. Keep hammering on the hogs!

- Jason

Comment

Well the good news is you moved up 1 spot in the line yesterday and if this guy backs out, which he might, you will move up 2 places! Keep the patience up.

- Jason

Money’s in hand, let me know bud

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                            Money’s in hand, let me know bud

- Jason

I’ll be driving through Appleby tomorrow night and could meet you if there was a reason to.

Comment

Alright since I have to exercise patience what’s everybody’s favorite shooting sticks? I’m thinking of going nostalgic and make some from bamboo like I used when guiding or getting some primos bipod sticks. I’ve got the primos monopod for long range archery but it’s a little wobbly for a rifle.

Comment

I have both the Primos Gen 3 Trigger Sticks bipod and tripod. I love them both. I use the bipod 90% of the time and it's easier to setup with one hand since you only have to barely spread the 2 legs. The tripod is almost as easy but it sometimes takes a second longer since there are 3 legs. It's no big deal though.

The Gen 3 Trigger Sticks are by far the most quiet easy to use shooting sticks I've ever handled. If you buy some just be sure you get the TALL ones if you want to use them standing up. I've almost bought the short one (for sitting down) on accident before.

- Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X