No announcement yet.

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For you guys that varmint hunt with them, how do you scan? With the gun? Is it a PIA? I'm thinking of getting a good thermal scope but all I've ever used was a flir t70, an SPI, and PVS14NV and all are pretty expensive. We always had a rifle mounted one and another to scan. So I'm curious how y'all do with just one. What's the best bang for the buck? I need to trade a gun for one haha

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      For you guys that varmint hunt with them, how do you scan? With the gun? Is it a PIA? I'm thinking of getting a good thermal scope but all I've ever used was a flir t70, an SPI, and PVS14NV and all are pretty expensive. We always had a rifle mounted one and another to scan. So I'm curious how y'all do with just one. What's the best bang for the buck? I need to trade a gun for one haha

I have the same question.

Comment

I carry shooting sticks to scan. It's not bad. I'm not a huge fan of loading myself down with a bunch of crap. A handheld thermal would be nice to scan with! I just built a lightweight rifle and mounted a Pulsar Apex on it. Works great for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I just scan with gun. But I just hog hunt so it's no big deal to me. Shot 4 so far tonight and 4 yesterday. About to eat and back to the grind

Comment

... he gone too. Lucky number 13
            Attached Files

Comment

Good gosh almighty!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey Low Fence! What did that dirty monster weigh? Bet he had 20 pounds of mud on him!!!!!! KAP!!!!

Comment

I'm letting them guess weight in campfire. I'll post later

Day and a half
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                    I'm letting them guess weight in campfire. I'll post later

Day and a half
                    I'm speechless!! All I can say is nice shootin' and a nice NV setup! Congrats sir

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      I'll chime in here and say that for a long time I just used my NV rifle scope and after the first time I used a handheld monocular, I realized I'd never, ever got back to using my rifle scope. Don't get me wrong, it's works and tons of people do it. Nothing wrong with it at all. But the way I hunt, so much of it is just a kill of opportunity when I see hogs rooting my pasture etc that it's a huge pain to get my rifle out to scan around my pasture. Even when I'm out there actively hunting hogs it just wears me out panning and scanning around for a long time. Again, I did it for a long time but if you think binoculars are handy or even a necessity while daytime hunting, a monocular for spotting at night is 100x more handy or a necessity.

With all that said, if you decide you want something for scanning, it all comes down to price range and what you want to do. You can get something good in digital for around $500 or you can get something good in thermal for somewhere around $2,000. If you just want to know something is there and then use your rifle scope to identify it, the new Leupold LTO Tracker is great for that. I've been using one for nearly a month and really like it. For $699 it serves a really nice purpose. It's not going to take the place of a $2,500 thermal handheld but it's definitely going to let you know "something" is out there are 200+ yards. I'm working on shooting a video review of it now.

If you've got any questions about any specific handhelds, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help and offer some suggestions.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                        I'll chime in here and say that for a long time I just used my NV rifle scope and after the first time I used a handheld monocular, I realized I'd never, ever got back to using my rifle scope. Don't get me wrong, it's works and tons of people do it. Nothing wrong with it at all. But the way I hunt, so much of it is just a kill of opportunity when I see hogs rooting my pasture etc that it's a huge pain to get my rifle out to scan around my pasture. Even when I'm out there actively hunting hogs it just wears me out panning and scanning around for a long time. Again, I did it for a long time but if you think binoculars are handy or even a necessity while daytime hunting, a monocular for spotting at night is 100x more handy or a necessity.

With all that said, if you decide you want something for scanning, it all comes down to price range and what you want to do. You can get something good in digital for around $500 or you can get something good in thermal for somewhere around $2,000. If you just want to know something is there and then use your rifle scope to identify it, the new Leupold LTO Tracker is great for that. I've been using one for nearly a month and really like it. For $699 it serves a really nice purpose. It's not going to take the place of a $2,500 thermal handheld but it's definitely going to let you know "something" is out there are 200+ yards. I'm working on shooting a video review of it now.

If you've got any questions about any specific handhelds, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help and offer some suggestions.

Jason
                        I've been wondering about this LTO handheld for scanning. What do you think the range truly is when you're identifying a critter? Is it good to 100 yds?

Comment

Night Vision hunting Thread

PVS-14 is worth the money. You can find a good used unit for under $2k. Also mounts on a rail, so I can use it for .300BO and on my crossbow as well. I scan with it most of the time and have ATN X-sight on the gun. Good under 20 yards.

Comment

Took my city slicker nephew this evening for a 6-8pm sit. He was scanning when "ol tripod" walked out of the brush. I tried one of the 75 hornady bthp behind the jaw. @ 45 yards. They group terrible at 100, but 50 is as far as you can see in this jungle we were hunting so I let er rip. Big exit hole, just wish I could get some consistent groups at any distance
                            Attached Files

Comment

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by SC-Texas; 02-12-2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Got my first nv kill last night. Shot this guy last night with my buddies 22-250 with a armasight nemesis
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4540.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	24485098
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4544.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	24485099

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment