Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
    I'll chime in here because I get asked all these type of questions about the different optics all the time. I don't mind answering them for people because they are good and logical questions to ask before you spend money on NV.

I get a lot of questions about the Pulsar Digisight N750 and before the Photon XT's the N750 was a big seller. It is hands down a much nicer optic than the Photon XT. It has a much higher resolution, better built in IR, clearer image, built in zoom and many more options. It retails for around $1,599 so the question really is, is it $1,000 better than the Photon XT. I have some customers who own or have used both and they fully believe the N750 is worth every penny more than the Photon XT. With that said, I know many more who would disagree. I've had customers sell their N750 and buy 2 Photons and still have some extra cash left over. It's also worth noting that every situation is different and for some shooters, the N750 is a better option, especially if they don't mind spending the money. Some guys are able and willing drop an extra $1,000 on an optic quicker than I'll buy a candy bar for .50.lol

In my honest opinion, as both a Sightmark and Pulsar dealer and having used both extensively......I personally can't see the $1,000 of benefits in the N750. I've talked a lot of people out of them and into the Photon, which is obviously a product I would make a lot less money on, but I want customers to get the best bang for their buck every single time. I've told a few guys that instead of buying the N750 they should buy the Photon XT, the UNV 20IR Illuminator and they'd still have plenty of money to buy a darn nice rifle to mount it all on!

With that all said, yes the Photon XT is an amazing optic and it's probably the best deal in NV out there and it's proved itself to be a great NV optic for the masses. Once the kinks were worked out of the ATN X-Sights, they really started showing themselves as better optics but I'm so glad to see that ATN has rebuilt them from the ground up for the new X-Sight II. With the new Obsidian 2.0 core, it looks and feels extremely similar to the original X-Sight but from what I've seen it's going to be a really big upgrade and improvement.

I get asked all the time which is better, the Photon XT or the X-Sight and even when the X-Sight II hits the market, the answer is still going to be "it depends." I have a lot of customers who think the two buttons on the Photon XT is way too complicated and they can't figure out how to change the reticle pattern or color. For them, using an X-Sight would be like flying a space ship. I've also dealt with a lot of hunters who just want to turn on their NV optic and go hunting. They don't want thrills, frills, buttons, recorders or any other options. But there are also tons of people who want the latest technology and all the latest options and apps and for them, the X-Sight is the perfect choice by far.

Those are my thoughts based on my hands on use of all these optics and also having dealt with hundreds of customers who've purchased and used these optics and thankfully given me their feedback. If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask, I'll always gladly answer questions with no pressure to sell you anything.

Also, I'm still going to be offering a pre-order TBH deal on the new X-Sights but I'm trying to get some better info on the whole release before I start the pre-order process. I have a meeting with ATN on Monday and I'm hoping to know more after that.

- Jason
    Thank you Jason for your detailed response. Seems I'm leaning more and more towards the X-Sight now with the responses I have received.

Comment

Just got an email my ATN 3-14 X Sight II has shipped

Comment

Originally posted by Team Roper View Post
        Just got an email my ATN 3-14 X Sight II has shipped

I'm speechless. I've spoke to ATN twice in the last 7 days including Monday and I got terrible info. You are right they are indeed beginning to ship out according to the ATN FB page. This is insanity. I was told 30-45 days bare minimum. Wow. I really don't know what to say. This smells just like the original ATN X-Sight release....all kinds of conflicting and bad info coming out. Wow.

Let us know what you think when you get it.
        Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 02-26-2016, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
          I'm speechless. I've spoke to ATN twice in the last 7 days including Monday and I got terrible info. You are right they are indeed beginning to ship out according to the ATN FB page. This is insanity. I was told 30-45 days bare minimum. Wow. I really don't know what to say. This smells just like the original ATN X-Sight release....all kinds of conflicting and bad info coming out. Wow.

Let us know what you think when you get it.

That's the problem with that company. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Comment

Fed Ex had it on the truck yesterday for delivery. Never got it says it is on the truck for delivery at 4:43 this morning we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
              That's the problem with that company. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
              I am honestly speechless on this. I actually spoke with a source yesterday at 4:30 PM that has extremely close ties to the X-Sight release and they too had no idea they were already shipping. This person said they had it on very good authority that the first units should be shipping within 30-45 days.....the same info I got from my ATN rep last week and again on Monday during our meeting. How it in world these people could not know that they were already shipping out ATN's biggest, most "exciting" new NV optic release for the year is beyond me.

I agree 35Rem.....there are some issues there that are mind boggling to me. With all that said, I still have an order of both models sitting on hold and I'll let y'all know as soon as they ship! I'll also work up some TBH pricing. I keep saying that and putting it off because I thought I had another month.lol

I just don't understand how dealers and distributors can be left out in the cold on a release like this.

Originally posted by Team Roper View Post
              Fed Ex had it on the truck yesterday for delivery. Never got it says it is on the truck for delivery at 4:43 this morning we will see.
              Good deal. If you don't mind, let us know what external IR the unit has on it. ATN didn't have any info on that at the SHOT Show and when I asked about it on Monday, they said they still didn't know know......

Comment

Fed Ex just walked in the door with it. I will open it up and play with it this weekend and report back to you on Monday.

Comment

POF p416 with an IRS Hunter mk2 24mm FOV from Third Coast thermal on it. The suppressor cover is a rifles only HAD.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post

POF p416 with an IRS Hunter mk2 24mm FOV from Third Coast thermal on it. The suppressor cover is a rifles only HAD.
                    Be honest: have you ever fired more than 10 rounds at a group of hogs?

Comment

Well, the guys at the gun shop told me that if I used a suppressor the whole sounder of 40 hogs would stand there and let me shoot each one of them. . . . One after the other . . . . I was a little skeptical . . But. . . . .

Lol. Nope. I would usually have my D60 just for grins. Just in case.

Comment

I have shot exactly 9 with a single shot HR .45-70 and on more than one occasion have lit into em for close to 20 rounds touched off. But that was in the open flats of west texas and could see em for 5-600 yards. And other was in the canyons south east of lubbock.

Comment

I have gotten 6-7 off and dropped 4 pigs. Wide open field. Dropped the Alpha and the others stood there for a few seconds confused.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post

Very nice! Congrats.

Comment

Monday update on my ATN X SightII I am impressed with this little gaget.

Have not shot it but spent all weekend figuring out how everything works.

The question was asked of me what IR Illuminator are they using? I have no idea as there are no identifier markings on the unit nor are there any paperwork with it to shed light on this.
                              I will say this I am very impressed with it. I was told that the big problem with the X Sight is that the IR Illuminator that comes with them is inadequate. Not on this unit. I pre purchased a Luna Optics Extended Range IR (LN-ELIR-3). The one that came with the X Sight is better.

I have 1 major criticism of ATN; no instructions, no manual, no directions. I guess they think everyone buying them are technology geniuses. In spite of this I was able to fumble thru and figure it all out.

Comment

Last week, suppressed subsonic bolt action 300blk at about 120 yards, they scattered. If I had gone semi, I could have sprayed and prayed, but it would have been playing running boar.

Fwiw, have an x-sight, pvs14, IR patrol and a hunter Mark III 60mm. I have never hunted with the x-sight. Ordered the psv14 immediately after buying it. The patrol is nice to scan with, but the resolution makes ID at distance a bit hard for little critters. Likewise the reticle software sucks. The Mark III kicks *** as a sight.

Comment

Working...
                                X