Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mjw195 View Post
    Photon 4.6 arrived today, so far back yard test it looks awesome! Better then I expected, also glad to see the hinged front scope cap so it won't fall off like previous models.

Jason at outdoor legacy was a great help.

Looking forward to further use!!!
    Awesome! Glad to hear you like it, I don't think you are going to be disappointed.

BuckySWT, I'm sorry to hear that you are having more troubles with the Photon. I would definitely suggest taking 35Remington's advice and getting some good alkaline batteries and testing it. Since we talked several months ago I've had a few customers mention that they figured out that some rechargeable AA's are not the exact same length as alkalines and they were having similar type problems. I had one customer whose recharables were too short and causing a similar problem to what you are describing and I had another whose rechargables were too long and he couldn't get the battery cap to close completely. I would definitely suggest testing Energizer or Duracell alkalines to see what happens.

- Jason

Comment

I finally got the Form 1 and Form 4 back on my 6.8 SPC :-)

By the way I couldn't be happier with the Sightmark I got from Jason. As a newbie reading this whole thread I came away with the impression that the Sightmark was a mediocre "$500 solution" and that when it was time to get serious I'd need to pony up $3k. With a little experience under my belt I can see where you might have pitch dark, zero visibility spot and stalk situations in unfamiliar terrain where a helmet mounted PVS-14 would take that experience to the next level. But other than that the sightmark works amazingly well for hunting over feeders in the dark.

For now I've had great success using a combination of a green lens flashlight and these solar lights tinted green to navigate around our ranch in the dark, then when I get within ~200 yards of the
      feeders I switch to orienting myself on the target with the sightmark every 20 yards or so as I close in.

That said, my favorite method by far is to put the rifle in a holder pointed at the feeder near our ranch house. I run an RCA wire from the sightmark to a tv monitor inside the house, and I can watch the feeder while I read TBH sitting in the air conditioning. As long as I rotate the rechargeable batteries every few hours, I can watch that feeder silently from sundown until late night, every night I'm at the ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
        That said, my favorite method by far is to put the rifle in a holder pointed at the feeder near our ranch house. I run an RCA wire from the sightmark to a tv monitor inside the house, and I can watch the feeder while I read TBH sitting in the air conditioning. As long as I rotate the rechargeable batteries every few hours, I can watch that feeder silently from sundown until late night, every night I'm at the ranch.
        Now THAT is what I am talking about. Caveman enters 21st century!

Comment

Well I ordered a magnifier for my m703 yesterday. I'm also going to order a aimpoint pro from adm next week to put in front of the NV unit. I have a clip on mount from them and they are selling the aimpoint with their mount right now for $424.00.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
            Well I ordered a magnifier for my m703 yesterday. I'm also going to order a aimpoint pro from adm next week to put in front of the NV unit. I have a clip on mount from them and they are selling the aimpoint with their mount right now for $424.00.

Comment

Here is a quick video of one of the pigs from last weekend. He didnt want to come far enough out of the brush to make good video and I got tired of waiting...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQH6fR2chgc&sns=em"]Digital Night Vision Pig with a Sopranos ending - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                I finally got the Form 1 and Form 4 back on my 6.8 SPC :-)

By the way I couldn't be happier with the Sightmark I got from Jason. As a newbie reading this whole thread I came away with the impression that the Sightmark was a mediocre "$500 solution" and that when it was time to get serious I'd need to pony up $3k. With a little experience under my belt I can see where you might have pitch dark, zero visibility spot and stalk situations in unfamiliar terrain where a helmet mounted PVS-14 would take that experience to the next level. But other than that the sightmark works amazingly well for hunting over feeders in the dark.

For now I've had great success using a combination of a green lens flashlight and these solar lights tinted green to navigate around our ranch in the dark, then when I get within ~200 yards of the
                feeders I switch to orienting myself on the target with the sightmark every 20 yards or so as I close in.

this is an awesome idea.

Comment

Ready to sight in!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	24399311

Comment

Originally posted by Mjw195 View Post
                    Ready to sight in!

[ATTACH]736193[/ATTACH]
                    So tell us about your setup!

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                      So tell us about your setup!
                      Gonna start it on a savage 17 hmr 93 wilt 16.5" threaded bull barrel.
                      Went with the QD mounts from sightmark so gonna attempt to put on marlin 30-30 and maybe a 22 lr I can suppress. Never moved scopes around that way before so not sure how it will go.

Primary objective for eliminating coons, rabbits and close range on other larger vermin where head shots would be appropriate

Since I will keep shots close I am going to try to use the onboard ir for now

What kinda luck everyone have holding zero using QD mounts?

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440373266.850150.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	24399513

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440373292.535139.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	24399514

Got my parts back from the anodizer Thursday. They are assembled and ready to knock out some more pork!

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440373498.226457.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	24399515

Outback77 and I have a NV pig hunt coming up in a few weeks. Here is the rifle he will be using. Its a plain jane mid-length 223 but shoots surprisingly well with my handloads. The Sniper Hog Lights 66 LR IR is awesome! It adds probably another 25yds to the visible range, easily.
                          Last edited by miket; 08-23-2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                              [ATTACH]736554[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736555[/ATTACH]

Got my parts back from the anodizer Thursday. They are assembled and ready to knock out some more pork!
                              This is so cool

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                                The Sniper Hog Lights 66 LR IR is awesome! It adds probably another 25yds to the visible range, easily.
                                Surely that distance is missing a zero?

Comment

Working...
                                X