No announcement yet.

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang I've been busy and haven't been on this thread much in awhile but there are some serious hogs being killed! Nice job all the way around! There are also some great looking NV setups being posted too. It's amazing how much NV is out there in hunter's hands as compared to 2-3 years ago.

- Jason

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
      Well Step 1 would be let your friend tell you a price. You said you trust him, and he knows what he paid for it, how good it is, and how many hours he put on it.

Failing that, having a spec sheet will make it go up in value. Having high hours will make it go down. You need to look through it and check for artifacts, noise, pepper flakes, etc. If you want a random, ball-park number, I'd say $2500. But I haven't seen it.
      I just want to add a little here, although you're pretty close to being spot on.
      With as many tubes there are now days and the technology getting more advanced and less expensive, I think 2500 may be a little high. Unless of course it's film less or has S/N of 28+ and 64+ lpm.
      It's getting pretty common for used auto gated gen III pvs-14s to go for 1900-2200.

I'd say entry level NV is more like a $500 digital NV scope, then a Gen II scope, then Gen II monocular, then PVS-7, and thennnnn your PVS-14. Just my opinion.
      Why do you say PVS-7 first? I think I'd much rather have a 14 than a 7. That way I could pick up another 14 and get a bridge assembly and run it like a PVS-15.

Comment

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
        Why do you say PVS-7 first? I think I'd much rather have a 14 than a 7. That way I could pick up another 14 and get a bridge assembly and run it like a PVS-15.
        You were the one I told him I was waiting to chime in! Hahaha. I was just trying to put them in cost-order. I agree with you about what I would spend my own money on.

Comment

You were the one I told him I was waiting to chime in! Hahaha. I was just trying to put them in cost-order. I agree with you about what I would spend my own money on.
          Haha if my wallet could afford my wants I'd have a lot of NV and thermal. NV is an addicting game..just like NFA stamps lol.

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439693785.518698.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	24396993

More pork for the miketnv and Sniper Hog Lights 66LR IR

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439697291.911308.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	24396997

Uh oh! The pigs are having a bad night! Plus one that drug himself off and I couldnt find....

Comment

Sweet! Do work!

Comment

Night Vision hunting Thread

Appreciate the advice. I wanted to get opinion before I posted the price. At $1,800 for a lightly used unit in great shape the next step is to make sure I have sufficient eye relief on the AR and will probably have to fabricate a mount for the crossbow. Have a Ghost 410, any suggestions? Scope is almost maxed forward on the existing mount.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439737097.108659.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	24397013

Comment

I put the stalk on a big nasty last Thursday night in E. TX. The PVS-14 with the 3x magnifier is proving to be pretty accurate.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Paslaw0311 View Post
                        I put the stalk on a big nasty last Thursday night in E. TX. The PVS-14 with the 3x magnifier is proving to be pretty accurate.
                        Thats a heck of a hog! Congrats!

Comment

Holy sheet that IS a big nasty!

Comment

Photon XT 4.6 question:

I'm having issues with this unit turning itself off. I've had 3 scopes now, and this is the second one that has done this. The other one had problems with the dial not working.

I've been dealing with sight mark directly and their customer service has been amazing...very thorough and very fast.

I have this one mounted on my 22LR bolt gun and it will switch off when I dry fire.

Am I doing something wrong??
                            I don't see this being an issue with the rings, or mounting it.

Just put in brand new batteries....still does it.

For guys like me that can't afford the high dollar stuff, this scope fits my applications.

I know sight mark is going to send a brand new one like last time, but this one sat in the box for a few months and then failed the first time I shot it. Trying not to rant...I really like the scope...just don't have the time to continually go through this process.

helpful suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post
                              Photon XT 4.6 question:

I'm having issues with this unit turning itself off. I've had 3 scopes now, and this is the second one that has done this. The other one had problems with the dial not working.

I've been dealing with sight mark directly and their customer service has been amazing...very thorough and very fast.

I have this one mounted on my 22LR bolt gun and it will switch off when I dry fire.

Am I doing something wrong??
                              I don't see this being an issue with the rings, or mounting it.

Just put in brand new batteries....still does it.

For guys like me that can't afford the high dollar stuff, this scope fits my applications.

I know sight mark is going to send a brand new one like last time, but this one sat in the box for a few months and then failed the first time I shot it. Trying not to rant...I really like the scope...just don't have the time to continually go through this process.

helpful suggestions?
                              It's the battery compartment top... don't turn it all the way closed. Go half way. If you close it all the way it tilts the cap too far one direction... as soon as the scope jumps a tad (bump, recoil, etc. ) you lose connection to one battery and it shuts off.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                                It's the battery compartment top... don't turn it all the way closed. Go half way. If you close it all the way it tilts the cap too far one direction... as soon as the scope jumps a tad (bump, recoil, etc. ) you lose connection to one battery and it shuts off.

That's what I was going to say, along with battery selection. Some AAs are actually shorter than others, frustratingly enough. Especially rechargeables vs alkalines. So try new types of batteries.

Comment

Working...
                                X