Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Vision hunting Thread

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
    V. Nice. Are you going to ditch the 740 in favor of the DBAL?

The D740 is on my dedicated night vision AR, and there is no way I would ever ditch it. The 4x magnification is great. I put the dbal I2 on the blackout SBR. The all black rifle is the 300 blackout.

Comment

Originally posted by aac_shooter View Post
      The D740 is on my dedicated night vision AR, and there is no way I would ever ditch it. The 4x magnification is great. I put the dbal I2 on the blackout SBR. The all black rifle is the 300 blackout.
      Do you have a pic of the NV unit mounted on your sbr?

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
        Do you have a pic of the NV unit mounted on your sbr?

I don't mount the 14 to the SBR. I have it helmet mounted and use the IR laser on the dbal I2.

Comment

I have an X-sight, but am not using it at the moment...

Purchased the X-sight the day before Christmas eve. Got home, wrapped it, put it under the tree (our family Christmas was that evening). Took it out, was somewhat frustrated. Turned the illuminator on and wow - I could see in the dark. I ordered a pvs-14 New Years Eve...

Got the pvs-14, took it out at night. No illuninator - I could see in the dark. WOW. Set it up for hunting with inferred laser. But most of the game I was hunting was deep in shadows - so I had to turn on an illuminator - and then I noticed the eyes were always looking at me. They could sence the IR illuminator.

Ordered Thermal shortly after that (and waited). Have thermal on that gun now - no need for an illuminator - no eyes are looking at me. LOTS more activity in front of me.

Would the X-sight work - absolutely. Is PVS-14 better - absolutely. Is thermal better - in some cases ABSOLUTELY (but it too has tradeoffs - X-sight eats batteries, thermal eats batteries, I2 sips batteries). Will try to take some comparative pics eventually. That said, the thermal is 10x as expensive as the X-sight - but honestly it is probably 10x better as well

Comment

Originally posted by Mousehunter View Post

Purchased the X-sight the day before Christmas eve. Got home, wrapped it, put it under the tree (our family Christmas was that evening). Took it out, was somewhat frustrated. Turned the illuminator on and wow - I could see in the dark. I ordered a pvs-14 New Years Eve...

Got the pvs-14, took it out at night. No illuninator - I could see in the dark. WOW. Set it up for hunting with inferred laser. But most of the game I was hunting was deep in shadows - so I had to turn on an illuminator - and then I noticed the eyes were always looking at me. They could sence the IR illuminator.

Ordered Thermal shortly after that (and waited). Have thermal on that gun now - no need for an illuminator - no eyes are looking at me. LOTS more activity in front of me.

Would the X-sight work - absolutely. Is PVS-14 better - absolutely. Is thermal better - in some cases ABSOLUTELY (but it too has tradeoffs - X-sight eats batteries, thermal eats batteries, I2 sips batteries). Will try to take some comparative pics eventually. That said, the thermal is 10x as expensive as the X-sight - but honestly it is probably 10x better as well
            All that to hunt da mouses. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Mousehunter View Post

Great info, how about how long did the batteries last on the x sight?

Comment

I fully intend to use them on hogs hunts, but I hate to waste meat by shooting hogs outside butchering season. It's way too warm to bucher, and I have an endless supply of rodent size reactive targets. I really had no clue HOW MANY rats were in my barnyard. Any given trip out I probably see 50 (abet quite a few are not with good backstops, about 1/2 are in trees).

I would consider poison - but looking back, rat poison probably killed one of my dogs last year (eating a poisoned rat-neighbor probably put poison out). I am working at eliminating their access to food instead.

I have not run a full battery through the X-sight. Just looked at published numbers. It's the nature of a computerized core feeding an electronic display versus a solid state image intensification tube (matured 60 year old tech).

Comment

I use the Streamlight Game Spotter. Nothing fancy but it works really well for me and doesn't spook any animals.

Comment

I am just looking into NV and know hardly anything about it. I have an AR and just use a Sniper Hog Light now and have killed many hogs.

For $1500 or under what is my best choice for NV?

I was at BassPro and Academy and saw this Gen 2+ scope for under $1500

ANY feedback is appreciated or advice. Thanks

Comment

FINALLY! Pig down with video. I have killed quite a few with the NV but never had a dvr. Got an Angel Eye and got decent video. The recorded video isnt anywhere near as good as the actual view but it will work. Time to get to cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                        FINALLY! Pig down with video. I have killed quite a few with the NV but never had a dvr. Got an Angel Eye and got decent video. The recorded video isnt anywhere near as good as the actual view but it will work. Time to get to cleaning.

Glad to hear that! Post it up soon lol

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          I am just looking into NV and know hardly anything about it. I have an AR and just use a Sniper Hog Light now and have killed many hogs.

For $1500 or under what is my best choice for NV?

ANY feedback is appreciated or advice. Thanks

I would save just a few more pennies and get this: http://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/nig...gen-2-comspec/

Another option is a Pulsar N750. Since you are still learning, I'd recommend reading this whole thread. We've had lots of good discussions here and you can soak it all up.

Originally posted by miket View Post

Wtg Mike! Better work quickly in this heat!

Comment

Here is the short video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDLrzYq81uM&sns=em"]Digital Night Vision Hog Kill - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

That was pretty nice. Even through the noise from the recorder that is a pretty dang clear image.
                              Nice shooting too!

Comment

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
                                That was pretty nice. Even through the noise from the recorder that is a pretty dang clear image.
                                Nice shooting too!
                                Thanks. I briefly thought about hitting him again when he got up but I could tell he was hit hard and figured he wouldnt go far. ( though I have been wrong about that before ) It is a little frustrating that quality is lost in the recording, then more is lost in posting to youtube but I guess it is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X