Caliber reccomendation for hunting Canadian Whitetails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliber reccomendation for hunting Canadian Whitetails

I have a hunt booked in Saskatchewan this coming november. Anybody with experience please chime in. Ive shot alot of deer in Texas with the trusty 22-250. I know that wont be sufficient up north. I reload so thats not a factor in the choice. What do you say guys?

I have no experience with the bigger northern whitetails, but I would imagine anything north of a .270 should be adequate

Comment

308 or 300 win mag

Allot of different 30cal weight of bullets to hunt different game animals.

Comment

I know a guy that hunts them with a .243 and has never lost one or had to trail them any distance. All about bullet construction and placement.

Comment

I've used 30-30Win, 30/06 and 25/06 on Northwoods WI whitetails. Literally, there are plenty of choices. 270, any of the 30cals. Its still a whitetail, good shot placement will kill them quick. Good luck on your hunt!

Comment

The type of cover or lack of may make that decision for you. Do you know what you will be hunting in?

Comment

I would stick with 30-06, 308, or 300 mag. Don't be sorry you were under gunned.

Comment

Were gonna hunting on the fringe of heavy forested areas with setups being cut back into the timber. Our outfitter told us were gonna be hunting fron ground and elevated blinds. He said shots would vary from 75-150 yards. Im plenty confident in my shooting ability but Im not real crazy about having to track a deer in extreme sub zero temps. Im thinking something that is gonna killem DRT would be the ticket. Gonna be hunting with Chaparal Hunting Adventures if anyone has any experience with them.

Comment

I used a 300 mag. Good luck !

Comment

30-30 with the leverevalution ammo from hornady is plenty accurate to 150 and plenty powerful

Comment

I think .264 win mag up to .300 weatherby.

Comment

I have been looking at a .264 win mag and a 280 AI but having a hard time making a decision.

Comment

3006 would be my go too up in those woods.

Comment

Originally posted by bluelund79 View Post
                            I've used 30-30Win, 30/06 and 25/06 on Northwoods WI whitetails. Literally, there are plenty of choices. 270, any of the 30cals. Its still a whitetail, good shot placement will kill them quick. Good luck on your hunt!

Agreed. It ain't the size of the bullet, it where it hits that counts.
                            Shoot your new gun in various positions, not just off a bench, build some confidence, and have fun!

Comment

.270 gets my vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X