Shield 9mm or .40cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shield 9mm or .40cal

I am looking for a smaller pistol to use as my primary concealed carry pistol. I am looking at getting a S&W M&P Shield but I am not sure whether I should get a 9mm or .40cal. I have read where many people said the .40's recoil makes it difficult to control and be able to quickly reacquire a sight picture for an accurate follow up shot and the 9mm is the way to go. This kinda making the 9mm easier to be accurate with. Others say the .40 is the way to go for more stopping power. Both are the same size and weight, the 9mm has one more round in the mag than the .40 cal. Other than the mag capacity both guns are the same structure wise. Anybody here on the GS have any experience with the 2 and can give me a good review/opinion???

I am just wanting to make sure I get what I will be able to comfortably conceal the best and be able to use in a self defense situation as effectively as possible.

All input is appreciated guys thanks!!

While at first blush I was tempted to place this into the Ammunition and Reloading forum, it seems to me that this is in actuality the better place for it. Often the subject of "stopping power" in a handgun comes up on other forums and in physical conversations. To be blunt, the notion of "stoppi...

I have the 9. There just isn't that much difference in the two. One more round and a little less muzzle flip is better, in my opinion, than a very slight difference in penetration. Going to a small single stack mag really limits you on capacity. Going to .40 limits capacity a little more. Everything is a trade-off. I'd rather have an extra bullet, I guess.

Comment

I have 5 M&P pistols.

Full size in 9mm and .40, compact in 9mm and .40 and the Shield in 9mm.

The 9mm has less recoil and is quicker back on target. The ballistics are almost the same so you get an extra round with the 9mm, cheaper ammo and less recoil.

The smoothest shooter that I have is the compact 9mm but it is a double stack and not as slim as the Shield.

Comment

When you go to the gun shop, ask the sales person to open up a box of 9mm and a .40 S&W and then decide which one you want to save your life. The .40 S&W is merely a 10mm (that's packs a whallop) with a shorter case and less powder.

Comment

I favor the .40

Comment

Shield 9mm or .40cal

Originally posted by tpcollins View Post
            When you go to the gun shop, ask the sales person to open up a box of 9mm and a .40 S&W and then decide which one you want to save your life. The .40 S&W is merely a 10mm (that's packs a whallop) with a shorter case and less powder.
            Oh good grief, really?

Using this logic we should all be carrying 500 S&W for self defense.

Instead of listening to uneducated posts like this read up on ballistics (there are many discussions on this site) and decide for yourself.

9mm is plenty and would be my choice for reasons mentioned by others.

Comment

I used to be a 40 guy because of all the bad press on 9MM. But the 40 is never a fun gun to shoot in a compact pistol. Now with all the upgrades in ammo the 9MM is an awesome round with the right ammo. Easier to shoot, ammo is cheaper and easier to find. I have switched over to just 9 now. Do some youtube research on ammo and you will see for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Instead of listening to uneducated posts like this read up on ballistics (there are many discussions on this site) and decide for yourself.
                Glad to see we have an expert here on the green screen. My local police department issued .40 S&W to their officers and that is also the preference of our State Police. Evidently they don't know as much as Mike . . .

Comment

Get what fits you best and what you have more confidence in. If you get into a gun fight(hope you don't) you won't be thinking about reacquire a sight picture, your gun will be empty before you know it and the fight will be over.

Comment

Shield 9mm or .40cal

Originally posted by tpcollins View Post
                    Glad to see we have an expert here on the green screen. My local police department issued .40 S&W to their officers and that is also the preference of our State Police. Evidently they don't know as much as Mike . . .
                    I know enough and have done enough if my own research to know there is not enough difference in terminal performance between 9mm, 40 and 45ACP to even have a discussion about it and throw out ignorant comments like that.

All you have to do is read and you can find the same information yourself. Education is a wonderful thing.

Here's a couple of places to start.

Last edited by Mike D; 01-03-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

My ultimate plan is to get one of both. I would like to add a couple of points.

For the 9mm. The "right ammo" isn't always the cheap ammo.

In my area, its really hard to come by 9mm ammo on a whim. When a buddy and me decide to shoot I can roll into Walmart and pick up 40 anytime. Hes lucky if there is any 9mm at all, much less the cheap stuff.

I shot both and I had tighter groups with the 9mm but all were still lethal. I say shoot them both and see which one you prefer.

Comment

I carry a 9mm shield everyday. All my other pistols are 9mm or 45acp. So it was an easy choice for me.

Comment

I love my Shield 9mm. Recoil is not any more noticeable than a full sized 9mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Oh good grief, really?

Using this logic we should all be carrying 500 S&W for self defense.

9mm is plenty and would be my choice for reasons mentioned by others.
                            hehehe....This fo sho^^^^^

Comment

Keep them coming guys!!

Comment

Working...
                              X