Reloading questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading questions

When trimming cases, how important is it for them to all be EXACTLY the same length?

After tumbling and resizing how important is it to get ALL the lube off before loading?

I just rolled my first batch so I guess I should have asked theses prior too but oh well!

I deprimed and full length resized, tumbled, cleaned primer pockets, trimmed (chamfered and deburred), primed, charged and seated the bullet to length.

I started with IMR 4831 under a 90 gr Nosler Accubond .243 (per the Nosler reloading book)

(5) 42.5 grains
    (5) 43.0 grains
    (5) 43.5 grains
    (5) 44.0 grains

44.5 grains is Max.

Everything sound good?!
    Last edited by cbrown; 01-02-2014, 09:29 PM.

As long as they chamber in your gun I wouldn't put A TON of stock in the OAL of the case, especially hunting loads. Thousand yard matches are different. A couple of thousandths isn't gonna hurt all that much.

I never tumble cases so I have nothing for your second question. But the lube needs to be all gone.
    Last edited by UltraMax; 01-02-2014, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Yeah, also you can usually (new/modern action) exceed the Nosler Books Max, I always do with no signs of excess pressures.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388720288.396010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	24276376

I played with 2 different RCBS 5-10 scales I was given today. 1 wouldn't zero and the other would not read the same when I went back and double checked my charge weight so I called my wife and asked her to stop by Cabelas and get me an early Birthday gift!

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMaxNCV View Post
          Yeah, also you can usually (new/modern action) exceed the Nosler Books Max, I always do with no signs of excess pressures.

That's good to know. I would like to get a few more fps out of my 18.5" Remington 600. I'll see how these do and maybe go up slowly

Comment

Originally posted by cbrown View Post
            That's good to know. I would like to get a few more fps out of my 18.5" Remington 600. I'll see how these do and maybe go up slowly
            Do a little research on what cratered, flattened and burned out primers look like, those are your tail tail signs of pressures exceeding. Also sometimes the cases will crack but usually not unless reloaded a lot. The nosler book states that the maximum powder charge in IMR 4350 for a 6.5x55 is 43.0. I have found that 44.0 (a whole grain over Max with no excess pressure) shoot 3/4 inch groups in my Remington classic 700

Comment

I have tried the 4831 in the 243, I have much better luck with H4350. Just something to try if you can find the powder.

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
                I have tried the 4831 in the 243, I have much better luck with H4350. Just something to try if you can find the powder.
                Looks like he's got some H4350 in that pic

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMaxNCV View Post
                  Looks like he's got some H4350 in that pic
                  Yep! I picked up some H4350 and IMR4350 a few weeks ago

Comment

How are you liking that Hornady auto charger?
                    Want one but a lot of mixed reviews.

Comment

As long as they are all shorter than your guns chamber length it won't matter. You may see some accuracy loss and velocity variation but nothing you will notice with factory chambered hunting rifles. Just be aware that working up a load on short brass then chambering one which is too long may cause an increase in pressure. Measure them all and trim to uniform length. You will see some neck length growth with the 243 win after several firings.

Comment

Originally posted by H-D View Post
                        How are you liking that Hornady auto charger?
                        Want one but a lot of mixed reviews.
                        I have only loaded 20 rounds with it but seems to be doing fine. It did have 3 or 4 overcharges but only because it trickled a few too many grains at once.

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
                          Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                          X