.45 Colt ammo rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.45 Colt ammo rant

I received a .45 colt lever action from my grandfather recently. I have never paid attention to .45 colt ammo prices or availability. Went into academy the other day and picked up a box of Blazer 200 gr JHP 50rd, it's all they had. The box rang up for $53!!! I said no thank you! I was expecting $30-40.

Questions:
    I'm guessing the ammo shortage/rush has had an effect on it?
    Is it becoming more rare/unused like .410?
    Anybody seen cheaper prices in northern San Antonio?

Thoughts?

Look at reloading and maybe casting your own bullets. After your initial investment you can shoot for pennies.

Comment

That is about the going price. Not sure if it was the ammo shortage scare or all of the 45/410 combo revolvers that caused the price to rise. Maybe a little of both. At that price it didn't take me long to start reloading.

Comment

Make sure to give the Hornady lever action specific bullets a look. They are wicked in my pistol!

Comment

The prices for 45 colt ammo have been going up for a while. I know some of it is due to the popularity of cowboy action shooting. A lot of people shoot 45's but are starting to drop down to 38/357 due to lower priced ammo.

Comment

I load for a 45lc lever action carbine and a big revolver. So far, I've purchased two boxes of ammo and have loaded everything else. I've been able to find really expensive ammo and weak cowboy action loads. I can load full strength ammo and still afford to plink with it.

Comment

Make a new friend kinda close to you (maybe one of these guys) and see if you can reload at their place...

Comment

If you were closer I could load ya some for way cheaper than that. I have dies and everything.

Ike

Comment

Buy whatever you can get... It's gonna get worse before it gets better

Comment

Time to reload! Stock up on components and enjoy that rifle

Comment

Here you go
                      Ever since its introduction in 2006, LEVERevolution ammunition has brought grandpa's lever action rifle out of retirement and turned it into a firearm everyone is shooting. Featuring a soft polymer flex tip, it's tough enough to stand up to a jacketed bullet, but soft enough so it won't dent the primer of the round in front of it or cause accidental firing in a lever gun. This new technology makes LEVERevolution cartridges safe in tubular magazines. LEVERevolution ammunition features up to 40% more energy than traditional flat point loads and travels up to 250 fps faster. Feed your lever gun with a box today! This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases. Technical Information: Caliber: 45 Colt (Long Colt) Bullet Weight: 225 Grains Bullet Style: Flex Tip eXpanding Case Type: Brass Ballistics Information: Muzzle Velocity: 950 fps Muzzle Energy: 460 ft. lbs.

Comment

Great load!

Comment

Sounds like I'm going to have to pull my Uncle's arm for one of his reloaders. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
                          X