Custom fit hearing protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom fit hearing protection?

After failing a hearing test at school recently, we took him to an ENT today. Significant hearing loss in his left ear from normal. Mild loss in the right ear. I've been pretty diligent about him wearing plugs or muffs when we shoot or hunt. Maybe a time or two, but definitely not much. I figure the ND he had in the truck with my 45 last year is what really did it.

All that being said, the ENT recommended the custom fit plugs. I have tried the Radians kit before without much success. How much will his ear size change in the next year or two? He is growing fast enough to watch it almost right now. I'd hate to dump a lot of money into a pair for him to say they don't fit in six months. Any recommendations from the peanut gallery?

He was devastated at the news. He wants to join the service and try to make the USAMU, but the doc said the loss is bad enough to keep him out. Momma said the folks in the waiting room were about in tears listening to him.

The cheap foam plugs are actually one of the highest noise reduction there is.

How ever, they never really did much for me. A lot of noise got around them. One day I wasn't paying attention and put them in backwards, big side first. HOLY MOLY! They worked great! If you can't hear yourself breath in your ears they aren't working correctly. Have him jam his fingers in there. That's what it should be like with plugs.

I had a custom set made at a skeet event and there's not a ton of difference.

How old is he? Might be best to just double bag it. Find some foams that actually fit and put muffs over the top

Comment

I dont know if they still make them but, when I was flying around the world in the Air Forces finest 1974 C-130's, I found a pair of plugs made by surefire. They are not electronic however they do an incredible job of blocking out any loud noises while still allowing you to hear. I could wear them under my headset and hear conversation as if I were setting next to someone in a hospital waiting room.

Comment

We use the Tac 6 ear muffs. Can't be beat.

Comment

You may want to look at Walkers Game Ear. There are several different variations. I have a $50 pair and they help enhance hearing and cut shot sounds. You can also replace the part that goes in the ear with different size plugs.

Comment

One round in a closed space wouldn't do that kind of damage. I live with a constant ringing in my ears and significant loss in both due to gun fire without hearing protection. It's a shame he has this to deal with but serious protection now will help minimize further loss. Regardless of cost you need to do the best you can for that but also look at not allowing Ipod ear plugs and things of that nature as studies are showing significant damage from loud music on these devices.

Comment

Double up...Foam plugs under muffs. That's what I do, especially at a range where I want to block out as background fire as possible.

Comment

Suppressor...

I had tubes in my ears 2 times when I was younger so I know what it's like to have ear problems. I don't have any problems today other than selective hearing with my wife!

Comment

Foam plugs with muffs over them. I went to this when I started RO's USPSA matches. The open guns are really loud and I would be subjected to 400rds a match of ++P++ 38 Super rounds.

I tried the custom fit plugs and they just werent worth the money. Taking them in and out alot, they won't last long.

Comment

ESP's are probably the best custom out there
                    I had some custom fit years back, but break out the checkbook
                    I feel they were worth every penny

Comment

i use custom plugs.. had them for 5 years at least. I first got them when I shot USPSA and 3 gun 3-4 times a month. Difference is that I had mine done by an audiologist. cost me 35 bucks plus my co pay. better quality than the guys that go to big gun matches, not that those are bad.

When I RO and shoot I always double plug though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hookem2255 View Post
                        Double up...Foam plugs under muffs. That's what I do, especially at a range where I want to block out as background fire as possible.
                        Yep--and make sure he knows about iPods, concerts, etc as a source of high intensity noise and the impact on hearing.

When I had my hearing aid fitted several years ago, had a set of custom plugs made as well. Wear them anytime I'm shooting. And one suggestion--get them in a bright color--orange, blue, etc so when you drop them they are a bit easier to find.

Comment

Working...
                        X