Anyone ever had a hang fire go off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever had a hang fire go off?

Ok, so here is why you need to know where your muzzle is pointed at all times. I have shot 1000s of rounds and yes, I have a hang fire from time to time. Today, we were shooting at Best of the West in Liberty Hill. I bought two boxes of their .45 reload ammo. We are only shooting paper, right?

Well, every thing is going good and then "click". I have a round hang fire. I keep the pistol pointed down range and reach up to clear the round and BANG! A .45 round goes down range about 4 seconds after it clicked. I know 60 seconds....... but who actually stands there for a minute waiting for the round to cook-off?

Chandler and his brother have never had one go off after the click either.
    Just a friendly reminder to please practice gun safety at ALL TIMES.

Wow scary stuff right there! Glad you are a safe shooter and did what you are supposed to do!

Comment

I've never had one go off either after the click but I do wait at least a minute before clearing.

Comment

So glad your ok and no one got hurt. Good advise.

Comment

Good day. I learned something. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nope i count to 30, rack the round out then chunk it like a grenade down range.

(My own personal range)

Comment

No but a different scenario..........

Had what I thought was a hang fire in an old M1 Carbine. Wind was really loud, didn't hear anything and the shell casing fail to eject. We waited 30 seconds for a cook off, nothing, ejected the round and before I pulled the trigger on the next round my friend said......hey, wait a minute! He was inspecting an empty shell casing and dented primer. Cleared the weapon and ran a rod down it and it stopped 3" from the breach. If I had pulled the trigger again I would have gotten a face full of shrapnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                No but a different scenario..........

Had what I thought was a hang fire in an old M1 Carbine. Wind was really loud, didn't hear anything and the shell casing fail to eject. We waited 30 seconds for a cook off, nothing, ejected the round and before I pulled the trigger on the next round my friend said......hey, wait a minute! He was inspecting an empty shell casing and dented primer. Cleared the weapon and ran a rod down it and it stopped 3" from the breach. If I had pulled the trigger again I would have gotten a face full of shrapnel.
                This same thing happened to a guy at our range. ( I say "our" because I'm on the board of directors an a RSO). Any ways he was out there alone had a "hang fire" ejected the round and never looked at it. Chambered another round in an AR and blew that sucker up In his face. Thank God he had safty glasses on. His face ad neck was full of shrapnel. After that I always check a hang fired round after ejected.

This is a good thread to help every one to be careful and take the extra steps and time to be safe.

Another reminder. Reloaders: check the powder your loading with. Make sure your pistol powder is not being used in your rifle. Had a guy many yrs ago do this and blow up a rifle at the range. He was lucky. Besides a blown up rifle he walked away with nothin hurt but his pride.

Comment

Good to know! Glad You were ok and know what to do with it.

Comment

On the primer discharges and lodged projectile does the primer make a pop? I have never hand this happen. It either clicks or bangs. Curious on these misfires too.

Comment

Had a shotgun shell snap one morning while duck hunting. As I ejected the round I heard a faint sizzling sound, and it went off just as it hit the water. Scared the mess out of me.

Comment

Maybe you should shoot something other than a plastic gun and the primer will get struck at full force.

Comment

With shotguns I've had the primer only discharge leaving the wad and some shot in the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman View Post
                            On the primer discharges and lodged projectile does the primer make a pop? I have never hand this happen. It either clicks or bangs. Curious on these misfires too.
                            With hearing protection, it does not make much more sound than the firing pin hitting. Had it happen with my 45-70. Since it is a single shot, I see every shell as I pull it out, so it was obvious the bullet was not still in the shell. Any misfire round should be checked.

Comment

Be safe!

Comment

Working...
                              X