AR for dummies question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR for dummies question???

Just got my first in a trade and want to ditch the 20" HBAR on go down to a 16 or 14.5. Do I just need a barrel, gas tube and hand guards?

Thanks,

add a gas block to that list an you would be good to go , unless you are going to use the front gas block/sight off the 20" barrel.

Comment

You could get a new upper that way you can easily switch back and forth as you want.

Comment

I have a 16" upper I'd possibly trade for.

Comment

Originally posted by TexZ71 View Post
          You could get a new upper that way you can easily switch back and forth as you want.
          Been throwing that idea around.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman12 View Post
            I have a 16" upper I'd possibly trade for.
            Talk to me. What are looking for? An HBAR maybe?

Comment

Just a note..............If you go to 14.5 you'll have to register it with the NFA and pay the $200 tax stamp and wait for your background check................

16" is the shortest barrel you can get without going dealing with the whole NFA bull****

Ike

Comment

Originally posted by BigTex.308 View Post
                Just a note..............If you go to 14.5 you'll have to register it with the NFA and pay the $200 tax stamp and wait for your background check................

16" is the shortest barrel you can get without going dealing with the whole NFA bull****

Ike
                You learn something new every day.
                Thanks Ike.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTex.308 View Post

Ike
                  Most 14.5" barrels have a permanent flash hider attached to make them legal.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                    And then you learn something else.

Comment

All kinds of learning going on here today!

Ike

Comment

Which IMO makes it useless if you ever want to change flash hiders or attach a suppressor. I've never understood why anyone would want a barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device.

Comment

Beat me to it :thumbup:

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Which IMO makes it useless if you ever want to change flash hiders or attach a suppressor. I've never understood why anyone would want a barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device.
                            My thoughts exactly. I've never and will never buy a barrel with a pinned in muzzle device. I'll take an extra 1.5" if it means I can swap comps, or flash hiders.

Ike

Comment

You can also drill and pin the flash hider yourself. It's about a 10 minute job with a drill press and wire feed welder.

Comment

Working...
                              X