No announcement yet.

7mm-08 problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is odd. Your groups are too good for this to be a scope or mount problem I think. Does the ammo sound right when it's fired? I.e. it sounds like what you'd expect? Not a light or squib load? If the velocity was low enough it would explain the drop, but it'd have to be around 2100 fps to get that much drop at 200. I'm not sure what else this would be.

Get in touch with Hornady. They've got a reputation for being very interested and responsive.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post

Hornady superformance 7mm-08 139grn sst
      Box shows velocity at 2950fps

Thanks,
      B
      My 7-08 hated that ammo, I switched to winchester silvertip ballistic tip and got wayy better results!

Comment

Originally posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post
        I didn't remember seeing anything in my packaging so i went back to check. Nothing with the rings said anything about a front or rear ring. Nothing about different heights either. Broke it all down and put the calipers on them both. Identical down to the thousandths putting calipers on multiple points. Just for good measure i went ahead and swapped front/back and remounted.
        B
        if you have a one-piece base maybe the difference is accounted for in the base.

I'm just making guesses because I have had a scope mounted at an upward angle and it gave me BIG elevation issues when sighting in the rifle

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
          if you have a one-piece base maybe the difference is accounted for in the base.

I'm just making guesses because I have had a scope mounted at an upward angle and it gave me BIG elevation issues when sighting in the rifle
          regardless of the parts on the gun, you should NOT loose that kind of elevation between 100 and 200 yards....

verify your distance, and your going top need to know what your velocity is. if its a weak powder charge (im betting it is) then that will explain it. if its shooting right at 100.... it should shoot ok at 200 etc.

get a chronograph. and try some different ammo. i have not been impressed by the superperformance stuff at all. and i love hornady products

Comment

I have essentially the same setup as you and sight in at 1.5" high at 100yds. this puts me dead on at about 160-170 and about an 1" low at 200.

I handload 130gr BST with about 43gr of IMR4350. I shot about 10 different factory cartridges out of my 7mm-08 when I got it and the only one I was happy with was the Winchester BST, so I found a handload that was close and have stuck with it for the last decade.

My guess is what trophy8 said...weak charge.

The gun shoots as good as I can hold it about .5 MOA. I've witnessed my brother (who's a better shot) shoot clover leaf's with it at 100.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
              This is odd. Your groups are too good for this to be a scope or mount problem I think. Does the ammo sound right when it's fired? I.e. it sounds like what you'd expect? Not a light or squib load? If the velocity was low enough it would explain the drop, but it'd have to be around 2100 fps to get that much drop at 200. I'm not sure what else this would be.

Get in touch with Hornady. They've got a reputation for being very interested and responsive.

LWD
              The loads don't feel or sound light. They are actually a little stouter than i expected.
              B

Comment

Thought i would shoot Hornady an email and see what they say. I'm trying to get these behind a chrono this weekend of i can get ahold of one locally. Has anyone emailed hornady for troubleshooting before? I spent a little over a hlaf hour on their site earlier amd never found an email address to send a message to?
                B

Comment

Some guns just don't like the powder that Hornady is using in the superformance ammo. I'd pick up a different standard velocity round and see how it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundervee View Post
                    My 7-08 hated that ammo, I switched to winchester silvertip ballistic tip and got wayy better results!
                    This is true for mine also. Then I shot Fed Prem Partitions and the group got better at 200yds, less than an inch. Might want to expand ammo brands. When I shot the Hornadt Supers my rifle done the same thing, 100yds 2 inches high and tight, 200yds about a 5 inch group and still high. I have never really had that much success with Hornady ammo.
                    Last edited by lovemylegacy; 06-04-2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Try this link: http://m.hornady.com/contact_us

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                        Thanks, that bottom part for all the info wouldn't show for me earlier. I hope to hear back from them. I just dropped $100 on this ammo!
                        B

Comment

Working...
                        X