Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New (ish) AR style rifle from Colt....the CM901 .308 Win convertible to 5.56 NATO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New (ish) AR style rifle from Colt....the CM901 .308 Win convertible to 5.56 NATO?

Anyone seen this rifle available from Colt? I ran across it on GT Distributor's website and thought it was kind of strange that it was being advertised as a "multi-caliber, modular" weapon. I thought all AR's were multi-caliber and modular, so I had to look. It's a .308 sized lower, that accepts any mil-spec upper with the addition of a specific conversion kit that is attached to the upper. I thought it was pretty cool. Not very practical, since you end up with an AR-15 that is as heavy as an AR-10, but it's cool, I think, to have the option. It does have some nice features aside from the ability to convert from .308 to 5.56 like fully ambidextrous controls etc, but overall, it looks pretty cool. What do you guys think?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qccOymNrKEE&feature=share&list=PLEAD1A1119 AC4DDD2"]SHOT Show 2012: Colt LE901 - YouTube[/ame]

Have not seen it before, but it looks pretty cool. I like it, would like to get one in my hands and check it out first hand. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I said to myself, " I have to have one". Then I went and looked at prices, they can keep em. Nice gun but way too expensive.

Comment

9.4 lbs as a .308, 7.4 lbs as a 5.56 according to the video at about the 2:09 point in that video.

A regular factory Colt 5.56, depending on the model, weighs between 6.8 - 7 lbs according to their website.

So you are gaining less than a half pound with this system in the 5.56 configuration. I know that can mean a lot to some people, but considering both of my AR's weigh more than the Colt's, I don't think this one is bad at all.

I'd be interested to know how it shoots in the 5.56 configuration. Don't like the color though. I sincerely hope it comes in black.

All the best,
        Glenn

Comment

It does come in black, in fact, that's the only color you can get right now. On the weight issue, I had watched a different video before writing what I wrote, then found that video and posted it thinking it was the one I had watched (same guy at SHOT show talking, just different video). So, half a pound isn't that bad, the original video I watched didn't say anything about weight, so I assumed it would be heavy like an AR-10 is. My question thought, is that 7.4lbs with the 10" barrel 5.56 or with a full length, non-NFA 16" barrel? Longer barrel, longer gas system and quad rail, all adds weight.

Comment

I've been looking high and low for one. I won't buy a 308 before I can look at the colt. I've heard it will be priced just under the LMT at around 2K. Accuracy reviews seem great from the few I have seen. I've asked ALOT of stores about them and only one store has seen 1. LOL I'll be waiting a while!

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
              My question thought, is that 7.4lbs with the 10" barrel 5.56 or with a full length, non-NFA 16" barrel? Longer barrel, longer gas system and quad rail, all adds weight.
              Excellent question. I hadn't caught that. I bet the weight he quoted was for that short barrel upper he had. Sneaky, sneaky. Advertising - You really gotta watch and listen closely for stuff like that. Good catch.

All the best,
              Glenn

Comment

You have to buy the conversion accessories like the mag well block separate. For what they are asking I think it should come with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                  I've been looking high and low for one. I won't buy a 308 before I can look at the colt. I've heard it will be priced just under the LMT at around 2K. Accuracy reviews seem great from the few I have seen. I've asked ALOT of stores about them and only one store has seen 1. LOL I'll be waiting a while!
                  There's one on gunbroker right now.... That's why I said they can keep it lol. Idk what the msrp is. Most will charge more because idiots pay it. Anyone know what msrp is on it?

Comment

Originally posted by RemMan700 View Post
                    You have to buy the conversion accessories like the mag well block separate. For what they are asking I think it should come with it.
                    Looks like they agree. From the Colt website:

Note: All LE901-16S models manufactured after April 1st, 2013 will be shipping with the magazine well adapter block needed to mount MilSpec 5.56 Colt upper receivers to the LE901-16S lower receiver.
                    All the best,
                    Glenn

Comment

I had not noticed before (I don't know much about Colt, admittedly), but this is definitely a Colt-only-upper .308 platform. Look at where the pins are. None of the other manufacturers have the front pin dropped down like that. I doubt that many hard-core Colt fans would mount anything other than genuine Colt parts to their weapon, but in this case - you can't even if you wanted to.

All the best,
                      Glenn

Comment

You're right Glenn, but, it comes with the 308 upper, why would you want to mount a different upper unless it was a different caliber. Wonder if they will sell just the upper receiver, add your own barrel, like you can get in the ar-15 models.

Comment

THe SCAR 17 is the 308 to get...prices starting to come back down.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            THe SCAR 17 is the 308 to get...prices starting to come back down.
                            (cough) larue (cough)

i would like to fondle one of these rifles before i give it the final no.... im just curious about accuracy

Comment

you will like the scar better for a FULL BLOWN BATTLE GUN...i tried to hate it, but i think it's the best out there.

consider the weight of full mags.

Comment

Working...
                              X