Berreta 40 cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berreta 40 cal

Anybody have the 40. Px4 storm? I am looking to getting one tomorrow and wondered what y'all thought of the gun? I was torn between the 9mm and the 40. All the fellas at academy were saying 40. Lets hear it? Thanks
    Last edited by arrowsonly88; 05-23-2013, 11:14 PM.

Jck has (or had) one.

My vote is 9mm.

.40 is snappy and expensive to practice with.

Ike

Comment

40 is a better caliber but real expensive to shoot! I love my 9mm beretta though

Comment

First handgun I ever bought was a .40 - since then I have owned 3 .9mm - def more fun to shoot and ammo isn't too hard to find. You will stop someone just as good with a well placed clip of 9mm as you would with a .40 - either way it's a great gun. Congrats on the pending purchase.

Comment

I have had both. Prefer the .40 cal.

Comment

If you do enough research you will find an odd phenomenon with the PX4 in .40S&W called "trigger slap." If you are in cold enough weather that your hands get a bit tender that trigger will slap the crap out of your cold finger and make the gun not so fun to shoot. It's such a small amount of movement that the cushion of your finger fat will prevent you from feeling it in warm to moderate temperature. If I were you I would just go with the most reasonable solution and buy the .45ACP version

Besides the way that gun is made with the polymer frame and the rotating barrel it absorbs a lot of felt recoil. My .45 feels like I'm shooting a .40cal, pay the extra $50 and take full advantage of this well made gun's capabilities.

If you want to go with the 9mm version though I suggest you save your money and go with the Stoeger cougar. It's the same gun with an aluminum frame. With 9mm being such a small round recoil isn't much of an issue anymore. Berretta used to make the cougar but when they came out with the PX4 they sold all the tools and plans exc. to Stoeger. So it's the same gun that Berretta made with a different company name for about half the price. My buddy has one in 9mm and it shoots just like any other 9mm with a bit less felt recoil than a Glock.
            Last edited by sutherpride59; 05-24-2013, 06:11 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

I have a Stoeger Cougar in .40, it's the only .40 I've ever shot and I'm really in love with the gun. The rotating barrel = not snappy at all, more of a push back like a .45 than a snap at the barrel. I think you'd be happy with the Storm in .40, personally.

Comment

I have one in the 40 cal and I am accurate with it and it handles follow up shots very well. I have not experienced the trigger slap as stated in the post above. Cal choice is a personal preference and yes the 9 will save you some coin on ammo.

Comment

I have the PX4 Storm .40. If you want to target practice choose the 9mm. If you plan on using it for protection go with the .40. Stopping power depends on the loss of blood pressure. The bigger the diameter the quicker this happens. As for the PX4 storm I think it's a great gun. I love having the decocker on my gun. It helps by giving me the peace of mind that I don't worry about accidental discharge while carrying it(But that's just me)

Comment

Awesome guys thanks for the input! Alot of mixed reviews on it, but that's good! What is the price difference on ammo. Guys up at academy were sayin a couple bucks difference and right now 9 ammo is the hardest to find.

Comment

PX4 Storm Compact in .40 here. Fine shooting pistol.

Comment

I have a PX4 Storm .40 S&W. I love it. I will be in Huntsville the weekend of June 7 & 8 and will probably travel through Bryon/College Station if you would like to get together and shoot one before you buy it.

Comment

I have it and love mine but I don't shoot a lot. If I did I would have gone with the 9mm due to ammo being about 2/3 the cost of 40 cal ammo. FWIW - My wife is much more comfortable with the 9mm also, the 40 was too much gun for her to enjoy shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
                            I have the PX4 Storm .40. If you want to target practice choose the 9mm. If you plan on using it for protection go with the .40. Stopping power depends on the loss of blood pressure. The bigger the diameter the quicker this happens. As for the PX4 storm I think it's a great gun. I love having the decocker on my gun. It helps by giving me the peace of mind that I don't worry about accidental discharge while carrying it(But that's just me)

Actually shot placement is the key with any caliber choice. Yes with a bigger caliber bullet you're chances of hitting amain artery or vital organ is better, but a 9mm (.356") and .40 (.400") isn't that big of a difference.

So with cheaper ammuntion prices, you can practice more and therefore get better hits, which ultimatley determines the "stopping power" of your shots.

Handguns aren't man stoppers so really calibers are pretty much all the same. It just depends on what you can shoot most accurately. Yes a .45 (.452") is quite a bit bigger than the 9mm (.356") or .380 (.356") so that's about the only measurable difference that could factor in. But you loose magazine capacity.....

So bascily what I'm trying to say is the .40S&W is a useless cartridge in my opinion.

Yeah, you can talk ballistics all day long but it all comes down to where your shots go.

With 9mm it's just a tiny bit smaller of a bullet, less recoil (which aids in follow up shots), and way cheaper to practice with.

.45acp is a big bullet and it even has less recoil than the .40S&W (bigger bullet doesn't mean bigger recoil. The .40S&W is a "high" pressure round where as the .45acp runs at pretty low chamber pressures) but it's expensive (bout the same as .40) and your mag capacity is lower.

For me the only 2 rounds for carry are 9mm and 45acp. (.380 too, just for size of the guns, but that's a new can of worms.)

There was a VERY good video posted up the other day (I believe it was Daniel75) that had a doctors veiw on gunshot wounds. Excellent video.

No handgun cartridge is a "man stopper" so you either need to use a big *** bullet so you can increase your chances of hitting a vital, or make good hits to hit a vital.

The key is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

The .40S&W is a useless cartdidge as far as I'm concerned.

Ike
                            Last edited by BigTex.308; 05-24-2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsonly88 View Post
                              Awesome guys thanks for the input! Alot of mixed reviews on it, but that's good! What is the price difference on ammo. Guys up at academy were sayin a couple bucks difference and right now 9 ammo is the hardest to find.

you can (or could) find 100 round value packs (another member bought 3 a few days ago I believe from walmart) for $22 (brass casing, FMJ)

for a box of 50 .40S&W you're paying about $17 (brass casing, FMJ)

Yeah, that's only $6/ abox difference but after 500 rounds.....(10 boxes) you're saving $60!

Ike

Comment

Working...
                              X