Rossi 223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rossi 223

I've got a Rossi 223 for my Son and it has a 1:12 twist which is OK for bullet weights up to 62 Gr according to Rossi.

Anybody have experience with a 1:12 twist and 75 Gr Bullets... Just can't seem to find 2-3 boxes of 62 Gr SP. This is my 1st experience with a 22 Cal Centerfire...

Wow ... I figured Someone get me a Little Information.

Comment

I'm actually looking for a bolt or good single shot .223 so I can load some 62gr. I have 300 brass and bullets with the cases trimmed and primed just need the gun to experiment. Good luck if you were close I'd hook you up with some custom loads to play with.

Comment

.223 twist rates and bullet weights
        1:14 55 gr fb
        1:12 65 gr fb
        1:9 73 gr Bt
        1:7 or 1:6.5 90 gr Bt

Too my knowledge your barrel won't stabilize a 75 gr projectile... I personally wouldn't recommend a Rossi, but since you already own it, go for it. The H&R handi rifle is steps and bounds above it and shoots extremely well (sub moa easily) for a 200 dollar rifle... Thf has a 223 h&r in its classifieds right now for 200 even: http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for...le#Post4263590

here's some info on the 223 that will do you good to read:

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Hope this helps. If not asks some more.

Comment

I had a Rossi that wouldn't hit paper within 6 inches of the previous shot. Traded it for a different one that is much better.

Comment

Coach W ... Thanks for the Information. I traded a Muzzleloader for the Rossi. It shot 1" groups at 50 yards with cheap ammo last time and I just got a whole lot better glass. So I think it will do for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
              .223 twist rates and bullet weights
              1:14 55 gr fb
              1:12 65 gr fb
              1:9 73 gr Bt
              1:7 or 1:6.5 90 gr Bt

Too my knowledge your barrel won't stabilize a 75 gr projectile... I personally wouldn't recommend a Rossi, but since you already own it, go for it. The H&R handi rifle is steps and bounds above it and shoots extremely well (sub moa easily) for a 200 dollar rifle... Thf has a 223 h&r in its classifieds right now for 200 even: http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for...le#Post4263590

here's some info on the 223 that will do you good to read:

223 Rem Guide for .223 Remington reloading, 223 Rem accuracy, .223 Rem hunting, 223 AI and 5.56x45 rifles. 223 Remington Brass, 22 bullets, powder, primers and loading dies for .223 Remington. Ballistics drop chart for .223 Rem, .223 Ackley AI, 2-250. 223 Remington Black rifle, service rifle, .224 bullets, accurizing, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.

Hope this helps. If not asks some more.
              This^^^^

Need a fast twist for that heavy of a bullet.

Comment

We one that ive laoded for. It shoots marginally well to 100 yards with the 3 different 55 grain bullets ive shot through it. Maybe 2" groups.

I tried some 60 grain nosler partitions anbd they shot around 6" so I wouldnt waste time with any heavy 223 bullets.

This gun has too slow a twist and and I think the short barrel makes a difference also. The bullet doesnt get the same spin as it wouldout of a longer barrel with a higher velocity.

Actually the best groups I have gotten out of the Rossi is with 50 grain nosler BT.

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
                  I had a Rossi that wouldn't hit paper within 6 inches of the previous shot. Traded it for a different one that is much better.
                  I got very similar results from one that I HAD.

Comment

Working...
                  X