No announcement yet.

Anyone use thermal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a few members with high end thermal scopes.

Do a search, you'll find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Iansumrall View Post
      How much do they cost?
      They range $5k-$12k depending on the configuration you get. Just depends on how you want to utilize it and at what distances for spotting and shooting....

Comment

I have a little experience with thermal but it was using a friends AR10 with thermal. It is awesome for pigs at close ranges. The only complaint he has and I can see why, is that when animals are bunched up or bedded down, sometimes you can't really tell whether it is something you want to shoot, like a hog, or cows or exotics. With the 3rd generation NV he has on his AR15, there is no doubt of what your target is. ith thermal you have to get close if animals are in groups. Otherwise it is no problem. Like I said I have limited use and just my opinion.

Comment

I prefer nv over thermal looked through one that was 17k it was awesome only in the fact of seeing heat blobs at 1000yrds we then stalked up had to get within 200 to even see what shape they depicted then have to get within 50 to see clear lines and aimpoints. I would use it only to look at areas far away then thrown on the nv and go to where the heat signature was if I were using one. pvs14 and peq2 or 16 is best for me and what we use.

Comment

Well I already have my Nv setup and it works great. Spotting stationary targets with NV is harder. So using both NV and thermal is going to take it to the next level.

Comment

nightvision for shooter thermal for scout/camera man we have a good amount of videos using thermal on the YouTube page wildhoghunters.com

Comment

Ha I'm already subscribed to y'all's youtube channel! Good stuff... Keep the vids coming!

Comment

good stuff mike n david will be here next monday to wed we are hunting in floresville.
                  [QUOTE=BuckTag;7011625]Ha I'm already subscribed to y'all's youtube channel! Good stuff... Keep the vids coming![/

Comment

Nice, ill keep checking your YT channel.

Comment

What you see on YouTube is 1/1000 of the material we film. did you watch eating the enemy on animal planet?

Comment

No I haven't watched that... Well post some more thermal hunts on there so I can check em out!

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                          I have a little experience with thermal but it was using a friends AR10 with thermal. It is awesome for pigs at close ranges. The only complaint he has and I can see why, is that when animals are bunched up or bedded down, sometimes you can't really tell whether it is something you want to shoot, like a hog, or cows or exotics. With the 3rd generation NV he has on his AR15, there is no doubt of what your target is. ith thermal you have to get close if animals are in groups. Otherwise it is no problem. Like I said I have limited use and just my opinion.
                          Is he using the ATN PS22-3? I've considered getting the PS22-2 NVDNPS for my AR's.

Comment

Not sure what brand they are. They are pretty cool though. He wouldn't tell me what they run but I know they were more than $10k for the thremal.

It is cool to see the blood and stuff fly using the thermal, but I do prefer the NV.

Comment

We have a D740 Gen 3 NV scope that works great. But after borrowing a thermal device from a neighbor, we ordered an ATN OTS-X-F330 thermal view. We found it easier to perform a quick sneak peak on a corn field with the thermal viewer, then stalk up with the night scope to finish the deal. But my latest setup, I rigged up a 300 Blackout AR15 with only a red light and use the thermal for spotting. Don’t even need the night vision. For me, it’s easier to get a follow up shot using an Eotech & red light.

Comment

Working...
                              X