Springfield XDS: Second impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WCB View Post
    I shot my buddies XDs .45 and thought it had a fairly good kick. It seems like a great concealed pistol but not any everyday shooter. Seems if you have to keep it spotless and use heavy oil then why risk your life? My Glock will shoot anything even dirty...
    Time will tell with this one...I dont oil my XDm 3.8 9mm and it shoots everything, as I primarily shoot cheap nasty steel.

I don't see this one acquiring lots of oil to operate. Not sure what the problems have been.

Comment

FYI - Heavy weight oil, not oil heavily. I think my post may have been misleading to some.

I carry mine and don't have oil stains. I clean and oil it just like any of my other guns.

Comment

Haven't used it on this one yet, but I lube all my guns with TW25B grease. Stuff works amazing and doesn't run

Comment

I have a Springfield XD .40 caliber
          I love it and have not had a misfire yet. Probably a few thousand rounds

Comment

I'm at 800+ rounds through mine and I've never had a single light strike, misfire, jam, ejection problem etc... I've shot a bunch of hollow point but the majority of my shots are with plain Winchester .45ACP in the bulk 100 rd box. I think I read somewhere that 200 is the "break in" period for the gun, although I'm starting to not really really believe that there are break in periods on modern firearms.

Comment

Nice piece can't wait to see it!

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
                Well, since I had shot off all the rounds I made, I built up 6 new ones so I'd have some carry rounds again. They sure are pretty!

Hornady nickel plated casings for the corrosion resistance
                Nosler 186gr JHP (mostly cause it's all I could find in bulk)...I plan to get speer gold dot when available
                6.2 on the dot grains of Titegroup
                CCI primers
                and this time, seated for a COAL of 1.200 vice the previous 1.220.

I think I trust 'em enough to carry this time
                Ryan, I don't own a Springfield but have a friend that does. He too was having trouble with light strikes. I recommended trying a different primer, he was using CCI, and he changed with better results however still not what I would call reliable. I also noticed one day that his OAL was much longer that my 1.2 but didn't think at the time it could have anything to do with his problems. I think you might have found what is giving my Buddy problems. I am going to share this with him. Thanks for sharing

Comment

I'll add my .02. I've had my XDS for about 3 months. I've put about 400 rounds through it. The first 50 rounds were reloads from the range. (it was all I could get at that time) the rest have all been white box rounds from the same range. I've never had a failure to fire, but I do notice the gun gets dirty a lot faster than say my 9mm Sig. There is alot more powder there and its a smaller gun. The only issue I have had was after a long day of shooting it (100-150 rds) the slide stuck back so it didn't feed all the way. Cleaned it up and it was all good. I wouldn't worry about having a failure when you need it in a defense situation. You wouldn't carry it around all dirty now would you?

As for the first poster, the springs on it are pretty tight when new. I could easily see you not getting a good pull and slingshot like you mentioned. My wife had trouble racking the first shot when she played with it.

Comment

Originally posted by muley4x4 View Post
                    Nice piece can't wait to see it!
                    Lets get together and shoot! Haven't seen ya in a while

Ordered the prp spring kit and a new holster from firearmholster.com. Well worth checking them out

Comment

My son Joe just picked up this very pistol on Monday. Noticed that the primer makes a rectangle type dent in the primer huh?...He has only put factory ammo through it so far. No FTF...yet(fingers crossed). I was going to load a few rounds of semi wadcutters for him. I will pay special attention to the COAL.
                      Thanks for the heads up and good luck with the pistol.

Comment

The rectangle dent is because it has a chisel style striker like a glock. The other XD pistols have a round pointed striker.

Comment

Working...
                        X