Savage 99e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage 99e

What's the value of a Savage Model 99e in 308? I'm at work at can't look up values because it's blocked.

According to The Blue Book....the 99E wasn't made in 308...99E was pre war,in 22 hi power,250-300,30 :30,300 sav. or 303 sav.mfg.1922-34....perhaps you mean't 99C which was post war in.22-250,243,284,7mm-08,or 308...It is worth $495 in 98% condition.

Comment

Unless there was a flaw in the stamp, I thought I saw "e". It was a lower case letter which looked odd, but it was 308.
      Thanks for the information. I have always wanted a Savage 99 because my uncle that took me deer hunting hunted with one.

Comment

Does it have cut or impressed checkering?

Comment

I believe impressed. Just quick glance the other day. I am trying to make a trade for it.

Comment

It is a newer gun then....Found some info on newer guns....
            Last edited by Keg; 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

The model DL is mainly the same as the later version F with the sight boss. The difference here is that it will have a Monte Carlo style rear stock. Most DL’s for some reason have model M stamped on them, I’m guessing this means the Monte Carlo stock. It also came factory with sling studs. These were all post million serialed guns and most were press checkered although cut checkering was used on them from 1960 – 65.

The 99C’s. These guns are not hard to get a model designation on at all. Just have a look at it, is it magazine fed? Yes? Then you have a model C, the C stood for clip although that was a mistake as most of you know it’s called a magazine not a clip. The only other mag fed model was the model CD which was the same gun only it was a deluxe version with a Monte Carlo stock and a giveaway on these would be the white line spacer between the butt plate and the butt stock.

The model 99E, the “economy” version of the 99. Some came with birch stock sets which in my eyes made them very ugly guns. The gun did not come equipped with a cartridge counter like all the other models did and it had no checkering. Also the 99E was never changed over to the tang safety after the one million mark like the rest as well. It still wore it’s lever type safety right up to the day it was discontinued. Now most E’s are in the post million serial range but a few I have seen had been made in 1959 and came with the counter on the side. Some were even seen with Schnabel forearms. These are the guns a lot of 99 lovers buy if they want to have a winter project, the y are cheap guns to find and you don’t feel bad about destroying any collector value by working one over into something you want more. A lot of 99E’s in 308 are bought for rechambering into 358 for instance.

The last of the Savage 99 models are the model A’s and the Brush Guns. These guns came in hard to find calibers. The model A’s came in 243, 250, 300 Sav, 308 and the hard to find 375 Win. The 375 was only produced in this model for 2 years so finding one is a chore. It came with a straight grip butt and a Schnabel forearm, the stock and forearm were not checkered on this model and they were in the A series serial range. The brush guns were the same except the forearms were rounder and had a deep finger groove running along side of it. The Brush Guns only came in 358 and 375 Win, the 375 only being made in this model for 1 year.

Comment

Thank you for the information, Keg. Greatly appreciated.

Comment

Seen one at the Powderhorn gun store in San Antonio today. It was a Savage 99 in 300 savage I believe.

Comment

If you want to sell it pm me.

Comment

WTS/WTT Savage Model 99E .308 WIN

Comment

Killed a few deer with a 99. In 243. Sure would
                        Like one in 308. Cool guns.

Comment

I have 2 that I was fortunate to buy while helping out at a gun store. The first one had not been used that much but carried a lot. The second is 100% pristeen condition. Both are in the .300 Savage and have the brass cartridge counter on the left side as well as the cocked indecator on the top, back end of the reciever. Really cool ole rifles.

Comment

Here is some info that some 99 lovers will find mighty useful.

Savage, Marlin, Winchester! Dates of manufacture for the following rifles:

I have one made in 1923 in 300 Savage

Comment

Working...
                            X