No announcement yet.

New Gun Build Caliber help!!!????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cajun, I agree, I dont like the magnum belt on the mag either. So your saying go with a 6.5X284? or the standard 284?

Comment

ok your staying the standard 284 and getting to use laupa brass in it. The only thing I see about the 284 is the loss in power compared to the 7 mag. But the 284 on a long action seating longer bullets wouldnt be a problem.

Comment

The more I read the more I am really starting to like the 280AI... Almost the power of a 7 mag but with no belt on the brass. It has better velocities than the .284 as well. Unless someone can throw a real con at me on it I may have just decided on a 280AI...

Comment

Originally posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
          180 grain bullet isn't 30 caliber... its 284/7mm... Berger makes them. They are .65, and .67 BC....

J-MAC: I did a ladder test and found a node that I hadn't got to in previous testing. I haven't got to play with this node yet. I am waiting on a few pieces of equipment to come in to do a little more brass prep and such before I step into this node. It looks promising though.

JB: I'm looking between 2800 fps and 3100 fps either way I go it's going to be some kind of 7 mm mag variant cartridge.
          Glad to hear it! I'd like to get some specs on yours sometime as that's one I'm wanting to build on this year.

Comment

Cajun, I agree, I dont like the magnum belt on the mag either. So your saying go with a 6.5X284? or the standard 284?
            What Cajun means is go 284 Win, but buy 6.5x284 Lapua brass and neck it up.

(Lapua doesnt offer straight 284 win brass...hence the reason you gotta neck up)

Comment

The more I read the more I am really starting to like the 280AI... Almost the power of a 7 mag but with no belt on the brass. It has better velocities than the .284 as well. Unless someone can throw a real con at me on it I may have just decided on a 280AI...

I built a 280AI two years ago. PM me with any questions you have.

Look at the 162 amax and 168 VLD. You can launch them at 2800-2950 fps.

Get to 1,000 yds in 25 or so MOA

Comment

ok your staying the standard 284 and getting to use laupa brass in it. The only thing I see about the 284 is the loss in power compared to the 7 mag. But the 284 on a long action seating longer bullets wouldnt be a problem.

power ≠ accuracy when it comes to LR BR accuracy

case in point the 6Dasher...... 33 grs of powder and it will outshoot all the big 30's and magnums at 1000 yds

you're hung up on velocity and trying to push speeds

you need to find the "barrels accuracy node" by shooting 5 shot groups over a chronograph , then measure group size in relation to velocity. Sometimes to much powder/velocity will cause vertical or horizontal stringing (poor grouping).

with regards to LR calibers, when you look at the 1000 yd shooting results equipment list .... there are no 7mmMags being used. The 6's , 6.5's , and 30's dominate .

Comment

Cajun:

Yes they do for competition shooting. This will be a hunting rifle build though. In all actuality I don't have a place to strech it past 800 yards anyways. That will just be a here and there fun shoot past 800. I just want to know I can do it. I'm planing a 6 dasher or 6 BR bench rest gun build down the road a ways. But I don't want this caliber for hunting. It may just be me, and I'm fine with that. I have a 243 for 6mm hunting. As far as 30 calibers go, I just havent got to the 30 cals yet. I'm still building smaller stuff. I like to build a rifle for each purpose I tend to use it for. Yes I will have over 50 rifles one day. And I won't be surprised if I end up with over a hundred by the time I'm 50 years old.

Comment

Cajun: No attitude intended!! HAHA

I made it sound that way some in the last post. The 6, 6.5, and 30 cals all will kill a deer. They are just not in the .284 caliber for which this build is the purpose.

Comment

Cajun: No attitude intended!! HAHA

I made it sound that way some in the last post. The 6, 6.5, and 30 cals all will kill a deer. They are just not in the .284 caliber for which this build is the purpose.
                      no problem amigo as I understand your thinking

fyi - i also have a 280 AI custom rifle

collects dust as my go to rifles are the 17's and 20's

Comment

My brain hurts, I think I learned something here though

Comment

Working...
                        X