Working up a load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working up a load

This weekend I've been working up a new load for my 7mm Weatherby Mag. (Mark V) that I plan to use on my upcoming desert bighorn hunt. I've never used Hodgdon H1000 powder before, but after researching different powders I settled on that one to try. It's one of Hodgdon's Extreme powders that is supposed to be stable across a wide range of temperature extremes. My hunt may end up being in July in the desert, so I figured that powder might work well.

I've never used Nosler AccuBond bullets either. I've always used Partitions and had great results, but I've heard and read good things about the AccuBonds. I like the higher ballistic coefficient as well. So I loaded up some 140gr AccuBonds.

The Hodgdon data shows minimum of 75gr of H1000 and a max load of 79gr. I loaded 3 rounds each from 75 to 79 grains in 1/2 grain increments. 75 grain load sucked - 2"+ triangle. Other loads were decent with groups from 1.25 - 1.5". But the 77gr load was awesome. Three shots in one hole at 100 yards. For this particular rifle, I found the right recipe. Just gotta load up the rest of the brass now. Sheep beware!

I think I'll work up a load with H1000 and AccuBonds for my .240 Weatherby next to see if I can find one that will group as well for it.

I run Retumbo and 200 grain Accubonds in my .300 ultra. I get good grouping out of it. Heart shot and deer walked away 30-40 yards. Never had that issue with Partitions. Great shooting bullets anyways. 350 yard doe
    Attached Files

Comment

Great post! The load is critical to tight groups and every rifle is different. As a matter of fact, after a barrel gets broke in good, it might like a slightly hotter load.

Every thing we load in 7mm likes a 140gr seirra best. Of course it is hard to beat that group!

Comment

Retumbo is another good powder in the big burners but looks like you found a good combination.

Comment

This one's well broken in already. I figured it might like the hotter loads closer to the max since the H1000 pressures are lower than the other powders. I'd always used 4831 before with Sierra GKs and Nosler Partitions. I was surprised to see it like the middle of the road powder charge, I'll take it. If I can get a group like that every time, I'll be happy. But maybe I just flinched in the right direction on every shot, and they all miraculously ended up in the same hole by accident.

Comment

H1000 will be next powder I try in my 300RUM if Retumbo doesn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
              You may like Reloader 25 also. Just a suggestion.

Comment

I like the Accubonds. I have taken quite a few animals with them now in three different calibers and had clients take game with them numerous times with a variety of cartridges. From whitetail and pronghorn to moose, elk and bear, the performance has been consistent and very good penetration.

I have always liked Partitions but find myself shooting the Accubonds more these days and I am pretty convinced that they tend to be more accurate overall, based on using them in various weights and several different rifles.

Last animal was a moose at about 250 yards using a 165 Accubond at 2850 fps in an old pre-64 Winchester model 70 .30-06. Double lung, moose trotted about 25 yards in a tight little circle and fell over. Shot a lot of moose over the years and as a rule they don't go down any faster than that, even with bigger caliber cartridges, unless you hit bone.

Good luck on your sheep hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                  I talked to a guy using BMG. Might give that a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyline View Post
                    I like the Accubonds. I have taken quite a few animals with them now in three different calibers and had clients take game with them numerous times with a variety of cartridges. From whitetail and pronghorn to moose, elk and bear, the performance has been consistent and very good penetration.

I have always liked Partitions but find myself shooting the Accubonds more these days and I am pretty convinced that they tend to be more accurate overall, based on using them in various weights and several different rifles.

Last animal was a moose at about 250 yards using a 165 Accubond at 2850 fps in an old pre-64 Winchester model 70 .30-06. Double lung, moose trotted about 25 yards in a tight little circle and fell over. Shot a lot of moose over the years and as a rule they don't go down any faster than that, even with bigger caliber cartridges, unless you hit bone.

Good luck on your sheep hunt.
                    Thanks for the info. That's similar to the other stuff I've heard about AccuBonds. From what I gather, they pretty much fly like Ballistic Tips and have terminal performance similar to Partitions. You can also load Ballistic Tips to practice with if you want (they're a little cheaper), since the profile and ballistic coefficients are identical. Tips are different colors, so you can easily tell which is a BT and which is an AB.

Comment

H-1000 is one of my new favorites. I shoot it in my 280 ackley and 257 wby.

Comment

I have shot the 140 and 160 gr accubonds in my .280 I think you will be
                        Pleased with their terminal performance on game. I recovered one from a doe that I shot facing me in the chest at 190 yards. It was buried in the hindquarter when I was boneing her out weight retention was about 83 percent. Have had much better luck with them than partitions. Deer always ran when lunged with the partitions and I never got good blood trails. The we're always close by just unsettling not having much of a trail

Comment

Working...
                        X